GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Shifter won't shift out of park. Help

Hey guys, I'm not much of a truck guy but I'm helping my neighbor out with his shifter.

He has a '97 Silverado z71. Anyways, the truck runs well and starts with no problems, but if you start the car in Park, it will not shift out of park no matter what you do. The only way to fix it is if you put the key in, move it slightly forward. Once you do this, it releases the shifter and you can shift it into neutral. Once you do that, you can start the car and shift freely. It's just Park that it get's stuck.

Anyone know what it could be?

Quote Originally Posted by Patdon10 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm not much of a truck guy but I'm helping my neighbor out with his shifter.

He has a '97 Silverado z71. Anyways, the truck runs well and starts with no problems, but if you start the car in Park, it will not shift out of park no matter what you do. The only way to fix it is if you put the key in, move it slightly forward. Once you do this, it releases the shifter and you can shift it into neutral. Once you do that, you can start the car and shift freely. It's just Park that it get's stuck.

Anyone know what it could be?
    There is a switch on the brake pedal which releases the shifter. Sounds like this switch is acting up.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    There is a switch on the brake pedal which releases the shifter. Sounds like this switch is acting up.

Yep. The switch is under the steering column cover. There is a silver plunger (if you will) that when in the up position releases the shifter. He either needs to replace the switch or if he's cheap ( like me) take a zip stip and shove it up into that plunger causing it to stick in the up position.

Check the fuse to the brake lights. I had a mini van that wouldn't shift out of park if that fuse was blown.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Cool. Does anyone know what the name of the switch is?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Most likely the park safety switch.. at least something along those lines..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

It's the ignition switch. We just changed one last week doing the same thing you described.

Autp Zone has it http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=62-0

hmmm. Really? Is there a way to test it's the switch first before I tell the guy it's $160.xx? That's pretty pricey, does the switch control those functions?

Quote Originally Posted by caddiac View Post
    I just experienced this problem and fixed it - $10. Depending on the vehicle, there are several things that will cause the shifter to lock up. The most likely candidate is the brake light switch mounted to the top of the brake pedal (on my 98). In my case, not only would it not shift but the brake lights did not work correctly - a quick flash was all the brake lights would illuminate. After that, there is the shift lock (or brake/trasmission shift interlock - BTSI) solenoid on the side the steering column, shifter side accessible from under the dash.

If you pull fuse #16 the solenoid is de-energized allowing you to shift out of park so you can get to where you are going. Like I said, when the switch failed I also lost brake lights. Since we are going to Charleston tommorrow evening, about 3 1/2 hours from here, brake lights might be useful.

While typing this post, a section of the bathroom sealing next to my man-cave collapsed revealing a leak from the bathroom directly above. I guess I have another project for next week........
    - good info, thanks.