GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 4L80E possible issues.

Ever since I bought the truck, it made a whining noise. Originally I though it was something under the dash as it sounded electrical/mechanical, and not necessarily a high pitched whine. Today I took it to one of my local mechanics and he took it for a test drive.

Now, the noise is a whining noise that starts when the truck starts moving. It winds up with speed. The mechanic said it wasn't coming from the dash, but the drive-train, possibly the transmission. He thought that maybe the tail bearing might be going out, or possibly the carrier bearing for the split drive-shaft. Next week I might take it back in and have him run a microphone test on the drive components so he can isolate where the noise is coming from.

Ultimately my question is has anybody run into this type of problems before with this trans?

Another thing I want to add to is that the trans was replaced by the previous owner about 3 months ago, and I don't know if it was a re-build or re-man.
    Last edited by White Gardens; 03-29-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    2001 Chevy 3500HD, Cab and Chassis. 2wd, 8.1 liter vortex 8100 motor. 15000 lbs GVWR, 19.5 inch rims, and a 4L80E auto transmission.

Accessories.
    10 foot Rugby Dump bed with drop sides, Flink under tail-gate salt spreader, 9 foot Fisher trip edge plow, and central hydraulics ran by belt driven pump under the hood. And a bunch of strobe lights.

A bad transmission mount or the exhaust touching the trans or transfer case will make a noise. a carrier bearing or center bearing noise will not change pitch when the transmission shifts. A transmission gear usually changes pitch during an upshift. Rather than take it back to your"mechanic" I would suggest taking it to a transmission shop. They are more familiar with these type of noises. Oh, and A 4L80E doesn't have a "tail bearing".
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    A bad transmission mount or the exhaust touching the trans or transfer case will make a noise. a carrier bearing or center bearing noise will not change pitch when the transmission shifts. A transmission gear usually changes pitch during an upshift. Rather than take it back to your"mechanic" I would suggest taking it to a transmission shop. They are more familiar with these type of noises. Oh, and A 4L80E doesn't have a "tail bearing".
    Ya, I'll be honest and say that I wasn't quoting him with 100% confidence. He just said a bearing of some sort and I thought he mentioned the tailshaft, but he will be willing to do a diagnostic test for me no charge. I flat out told him that I do most of the work myself, and he still said he would do it for free as I bought my first truck there 5 years ago.

The noise doesn't change in pitch at all even at shifts. It is constant with speed and starts right when you get rolling. I'm leaning towards and hoping that it's the carrier bearing; siimple fix compared to the tranny.
    2001 Chevy 3500HD, Cab and Chassis. 2wd, 8.1 liter vortex 8100 motor. 15000 lbs GVWR, 19.5 inch rims, and a 4L80E auto transmission.

Accessories.
    10 foot Rugby Dump bed with drop sides, Flink under tail-gate salt spreader, 9 foot Fisher trip edge plow, and central hydraulics ran by belt driven pump under the hood. And a bunch of strobe lights.