GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 10 ply vs. 8 ply tires

I have an 07 NBS Silverado which I just had a Truxx levelling kit installed on. I'm tossed between tire choices. I am going with Nitto Terra Grapplers either in 285/70/17 or the 295/70/17. The 295's are an 8 ply and the 285's are a 10 ply. Are the 10 ply tires too stiff a tire for a 1500 pickup? or am I better to go with the 295 because of the softer ride. I has 10 ply tires on a Tacoma previous to this truck and it was a pretty harsh ride. Just wondering if the Chevy is that much heavier to compensate? Thanks for the help.

I would go with the 10 ply. They are most likely made out of a tougher compound than the 8 ply anyways. Plus, there would be less of a chance of tire rub with the 285.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

8 ply is way more than enough. 10 ply is good for heavy duty off road and heavy loads from what a tire shop guy told me.
    GM puts P rated tires on their 1500 line of pickups, suvs and vans. You are stepping up from P rated tires to LT rated tires....unless you have a real legitimate need for 10 ply get the smoother riding 8's.
    A good LT rated tire is plenty good for basic off road driving.
    Nitto Terra grapplers are a good tire.

i dont know about a rougher ride... but i have the terra grapplers 285/70/17 and i think if i would have gone with 295 they would have rubbed... and i have a 2" leveling kit... if you dont need the 10 ply for hauling though i would look for a smaller ply tire for the chance of a smoother ride and also cheaper price.. i think mine are 6 ply... not sure though
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    2" rough country leveling kit
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    deep low profile took box
    6000K HID's
    5% + 20% tint on door windows and rear + layer of 10% rear glass and 5% tint strip
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    1000 watt hifonics sub amp
    4 6.5" hifonics door speakers
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn
    5 gallon air tank with 100% duty Viar compressor
    galls street thunder deluxe siren/PA

I doubt it is gonna make that much of a difference between 8 and 10 ply. However, I would just go with the 295 cuz I like bigger tires and there is that chance that they ride a little better
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

I have 10 plys on my 1500 and they ride great. I would choose the wider tire as well just for looks.

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Ive always used 10 plys on my truck and its worth it. Id also go with the 295, its just a tad bit taller and wider and might ride smoother since it has more sidewall.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Thanks for the input. I went to Kal Tire and looked at both today. The 295's look huge on the rack compared to the 285's. I know there is not alot of difference between the two but it sure looks alot bigger for some reason. The 285's are the 10 ply tire, that is why I was considering the 295's as they are an 8 ply tire. Not quite sure which way to go. I'm wondering if the 295's may rub. I'm mounting them on Moto 951 and they seem like they stick out a bit further because of the offset.

Jr. Apprentice

KAL TIRE!!!!!!!! AHHHHH they are the McDonalds of the tire world!!!!!! anyways go with the 285/70R17s and get them in a 6ply thats all you need for a 1500 and you will also save a bunch of money, if they dont have them in stock get them to order them, there are lots around in 6 ply and should be about $40-50 cheaper you only need an 8 or even 10 ply for when hauling really heavy loads around ie. camper or truck full of sand / dirt.

And shop around before buying there, you will find cheaper.

Well I have 285/75/18 Terras on mne. The ride is good, great traction in everything (avent tried snow yet). After 30 K miles I still have another 10 K or more to go. That includes a few burn outs too, heavy towing and good off roading.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast