GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My father bought a 2003 Z71 Brand New and still has it today. He loves it. It has pretty much every option on it. It has 120K and very few problems. He has used it to tow, and for light 4X4 use. He get about 14-15 mpg city and about 16-17 mpg highway. He has put highflow catalytic converters and a true dual setup on it and that has helped the mileage and the sound!
    Jay- Trophy Club, TX
    2003 Chevy Suburban Z-71 (2" lift)
    2008 GMC Sierra Texas Edition

1996 was the first year of OBDII. 2003 was the first year of the electronic throttle. Don't remember when the switch was made to the 4L80E transmission. OBDII is always helpful with troubleshooting. I prefer a throttle cable to 'drive by wire.' The 4L80E was a much stronger transmission.
    Happy hunting.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

I am a new subdision owner (03' k2500 with 8.1 not your daily driver at all) I bought it after using my dads identical vehicle to tow our 32' toy hauler. It rides very nice loaded and unloaded. Maybe you should get the 2500 with a 6 liter.

Blog Entries

Welcome kjohnsiii,
    Nice to see another Washingtonian here! I live in Southwest WA near Vancouver, and Portland, OR.

Yacolt, WA to be exact.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Thanks for the information, I am still looking around for the perfect deal. Some of them are really cheap (like 8-12000.00) for one with 100,000 or more miles and then some of them are really expensive 35000.00 plus for a new one. Oh well the hunt goes on.

"New person interested in a burb. What is the consensus for years and models? l'd like to purchase a sub for a daily driver/trip vehicle."

Burbs are great vehicles. Use common sense when selecting one. Have a qualified mechanic check it out thoroughly before purchasing, and you will be fine. Try to avoid a Burb than has been "modified" by an unskilled owner. Sounds as though a clean, older, stock one will suit your needs.

Best of luck!

Default Suburban

Hi. I had a '96 Suburban SLT diesel, and it was the best vehicle I've ever owned, inthat I could do anything - haul people, supplies, tow, etc. Some idiot turned right into me while I was going 60 and that was that. So, I found a '99 2500, but not a diesel. Only 2-4% were made diesel, so that makes them kinda rare. The body stlye changed in '00, and they have 10 cubic feet less interior 'trunk' room. So, my ideal would be a '99 diesel SLT - if I could find one. Good luck!

I just recently purchased a 2003 2500 Subruban with quadrasteer. It has 100K miles on it. It has the 6.0 liter engine and is in excellent condition minus a small dent in bothe the front and back bumper. I pull a 30ft travel trailer that weighs about 6800lbs.

UNloaded the truck has a much more harsh ride then a 1500 burb with autoride. The 1500 autoride is sweet. It rides like a plush car but is just bigger.

So the model you buy depends on what you intend to use it for. The 2500 6.0 has a ton of power. It will accelerate pulling 6500lbs up hill. The trailer does not pull the truck around and it rides level. The only thing that would be nice would be a 2500 6.0L with autoride. That might smooth out the harshness that you get with a heavy duty suspension.

Also I head that it is best to stay away from the 1995 through 99 suburbans/tahoe/Yukons due to transmission trouble. I owned a 97 tahoe and had the transmission go out on me at 38K miles and I never towed anything. You should be fine with 2K and up.

Good luck!
    -Matt
    03 suburban with quadrasteer

P.S. My father has a 96 suburban 6.2L with 140K. He has had a host of transmission problems/engine problems and some power lock problems. The 6.2L diesels are not all that well engineered.

He's replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines, alternator, cams (one broke!!), ECU, glow plugs, high pressure fuel pump and upgraded the transmission. He has no power locks because of an unlocated short somewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12