GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default New person interested in a burb. What is the consensus for years and models?

I would like to purchase a sub for a daily driver/trip vehicle. I will make some hauling trips 1-2 times a year with a 20' utility trailer with some farm implements etc. (Less than 5000 #) I would like heavy duty so componets don't wear out but I will mostly be driving unloaded and would prefer to keep my kidneys for later years. I have just found this site by wikepedia link and have been reading it--thank you who ever is working this site!!! Any info would be helpful in my search. I live in East Tenn and I will be willing to drive/fly to view and possibly purchase. Here are my desires (these aren't in concrete but preferable): rear air--that works, barn doors, 4X4, cruise, heated seats, and few if any repairs I would have to perform upon purchase. I dont want a wrench turner. I am leaning towards later year models like 99 and up but would consider older if I can verify condition and low mileage.

Whew. sorry so long but trying to be complete.

Thanks guys I appreciate any help or insight.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by muddwhumper View Post
    I would like to purchase a sub for a daily driver/trip vehicle. I will make some hauling trips 1-2 times a year with a 20' utility trailer with some farm implements etc. (Less than 5000 #) I would like heavy duty so componets don't wear out but I will mostly be driving unloaded and would prefer to keep my kidneys for later years. I have just found this site by wikepedia link and have been reading it--thank you who ever is working this site!!! Any info would be helpful in my search. I live in East Tenn and I will be willing to drive/fly to view and possibly purchase. Here are my desires (these aren't in concrete but preferable): rear air--that works, barn doors, 4X4, cruise, heated seats, and few if any repairs I would have to perform upon purchase. I dont want a wrench turner. I am leaning towards later year models like 99 and up but would consider older if I can verify condition and low mileage.

Whew. sorry so long but trying to be complete.

Thanks guys I appreciate any help or insight.
    I don't know if it's still available, but you might want to check out this link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3842
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

personally, I like all the years of subs previous of say, 2006. When they started rounding the nose of the truck off, it really started to go downhill. I do like the OLD OLD body style of around the 90's era (which is why I bought one of that body style ). The mid 90s looked good and were true fuel-injection IIRC (which is always better to run with)
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    personally, I like all the years of subs previous of say, 2006. When they started rounding the nose of the truck off, it really started to go downhill. I do like the OLD OLD body style of around the 90's era (which is why I bought one of that body style ). The mid 90s looked good and were true fuel-injection IIRC (which is always better to run with)
    I've always like the suburban. I have to admit, I wasn't too crazy about the look of the '07 suburban. But the more I see them out there, the more it's growing on me. I think it has a very smooth look, but still retains the rugged suburban appearance quite nicely. Not too much of a departure from it's past self. Just looks like it's keeping up with the times.

If I had to make a suggestion outside of the link I posted previously, I would say any year has great qualities. But I would opt for something '96 or newer. I believe there was a significant improvement in engine management, once they went to OBDII.
    Last edited by TrailLeadr; 02-22-2007 at 11:41 AM.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

I currently own a 1999 GMC Yukon 1500 SLT 4X4 (which is virtually the same). I love my truck. It has a very comfortable ride but can also tow without a problem. My truck is rated right at 5000#'s but I can vouch that it will pull more although if I were pulling more than that regularly I would convert my rear brakes from drum to disc. You could also get a 2500 which would have a larger rear end and have a greater towing capacity and still get the tried and true 350 Vortec. Long story short (kind of) I have found that my daily driver Yukon is a very plush ride that I can easliy tow with. I usually tow my Jeep around on a 16' flatbed trailer. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Jay- Trophy Club, TX
    2003 Chevy Suburban Z-71 (2" lift)
    2008 GMC Sierra Texas Edition

Jr. Apprentice

I just thought I'd add my 2-cents. I own a 04. I love it! But the 07, Thats the cats meow. I love the look-sporty/fast but still rugged too.