GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Default Vehicle matinance

How can you make a vehicle last longer? My Silverado only has 185,000 miles on it (thats nothn on a 350)and i was wondering how to get more life out of it. I always change the oil reguraly, even if it dosnt need it. And i always use high quality oil, castrol GTX with Lucas Oil Stabilizer and the motor uses little oil(about 3/4 of a quart per oil change). I always keep the plugs and plug wires changed and keep the air filter on my intake clean and change it when its supposed to. I keep the fuel filter changed too. I periodicaly also get my tranny flushed and the filter changed. I also take apart my throttle body and clean all the parts and flush and refill my coolant too. And im never hard on my truck either. Is there anything else im missing or does anyone have any advice for me on this? Thanks.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

sounds like u're doing the required maintenance already. i do the same thing as you as well as flush out my brake fluid once a year. just recently i discovered sea foam to clean out the carbon.
    2K Bowtie Silverado xCab 5.3L
    7" Fabtech Suspension Lift + 3" Perf Acc. Body Lift
    K&N Air Intake + Edelbrock Shorty Ceramic Headers + Flowmaster Super 10 Series dumped after muffler!
    Bridgestone Dueler 285/75/16 on stock rims
    SSBC Slotted Rotors & Pads
    HID Driving & Fog Lights

(AR Bajas + ProComp 305/70/16) <-- seasonal set

Quote Originally Posted by j-schmizzle View Post
    sounds like u're doing the required maintenance already. i do the same thing as you as well as flush out my brake fluid once a year. just recently i discovered sea foam to clean out the carbon.
    I see a lot of members on the site swear by SeaFoam, but I'm a little confused when they talk about putting it in their "vacuum line". I'm not sure where exactly that would be. I've used it in the gas before, but I'm interested in seeing what it will do if used in the oil & vacuum line. I've got a Town & Country thats had the ERG valve code coming up for a year & I'm thinking about trying to get SeaFoam in the vacuum line & see if it will flush anything out.

John - Georgia
    Tan '08 Silverado 1500 4.8L
    K&N drop in Air Filter
    17" Tahoe Wheels
    CherryBomb Vortex Muffler
    Bushwhacker Rail Caps

Sr. Apprentice

There are alot of videos on Youtube on using sea foam or go the Sea foam website.

Quote Originally Posted by Black & Tan View Post
    I see a lot of members on the site swear by SeaFoam, but I'm a little confused when they talk about putting it in their "vacuum line". I'm not sure where exactly that would be. I've used it in the gas before, but I'm interested in seeing what it will do if used in the oil & vacuum line. I've got a Town & Country thats had the ERG valve code coming up for a year & I'm thinking about trying to get SeaFoam in the vacuum line & see if it will flush anything out.
    keeping it at a fast idle, slowly pour the seafoam into the vacuum hose connected to the brake booster [it will twist and pull out of the booster] so it gets sucked into the intake. Once it's in, shut the engine off for 15-20 min. Do this outside 'cause all the crud the seafoam loosened is gonna make it smoke like a crrop duster once it starts again. It may be hard starting but once it catches you'll be fine...

It helped on the 4.3L EGR on my Jimmy the first time. The next time I had to remove the EGR and break out the carbon crud inside the valve plunger housing...
    Last edited by wis bang; 04-01-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    keeping it at a fast idle, slowly pour the seafoam into the vacuum hose connected to the brake booster [it will twist and pull out of the booster] so it gets sucked into the intake. Once it's in, shut the engine off for 15-20 min. Do this outside 'cause all the crud the seafoam loosened is gonna make it smoke like a crrop duster once it starts again. It may be hard starting but once it catches you'll be fine...

It helped on the 4.3L EGR on my Jimmy the first time. The next time I had to remove the EGR and break out the carbon crud inside the valve plunger housing...

Thanks so much for the help. I looked on youtube & found that helpful too. I have been thinking about removing the EGR valve & cleaning with some brake cleaner or something, but I was afraid I would damage the gasket. I have been told recently that the gasket is metal & it rarely comes off or breaks when the valve is removed. I'm going to try the seafoam vacuum line Saturday a.m. on the van.

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Thanks for the help and the info about usn seafoam. I think i'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Black & Tan View Post
    Thanks so much for the help. I looked on youtube & found that helpful too. I have been thinking about removing the EGR valve & cleaning with some brake cleaner or something, but I was afraid I would damage the gasket. I have been told recently that the gasket is metal & it rarely comes off or breaks when the valve is removed. I'm going to try the seafoam vacuum line Saturday a.m. on the van.
    The EGR came off my Jimmy's 4.3L w/ out a gasket problem. That valve is a cutout 'U turn' passage w/ a plunger that closes off one side. I was able to reach in the open side w/ a little screw driver and break up the ring of carbon that had formed behind the plunger. I shook the carbon chunks out thru the open side and made sure the plunger moved freely & bolted it back on...

I think if you are careful removing the valve you shouldn't mess up the metal gasket, don't use the BFH.