GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transmission Problems, Maybe

I have a 99 Silverado new style, 5.3 auto 2wd. I believe it is a 4L60E transmission. The truck has 96K miles. Ive never had a issue with the transmission until recently. The other day it started upshifting harsh like it was in tow mode but wasnt. Maybe even harsher than tow mode. The next day it did fine and shifted normally. Then three days latter when I engaged reverse and backed up it felt like it was shuddering a little but then the upshifts were normal and it only did this one time in reverse. It has worked fine for the last three days. The fluid level is correct and the fluid looks fine and doesnt smell burnt. I have no mil light on either. I thought I would maybe drop the pan and check for debris first or is there something else I can check before this? Has anyone ever heard of any of this happening before?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yeah sounds like you need to do a tranny service and soon. At least a filter.. Sounds like its clogged.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    I have a 99 Silverado new style, 5.3 auto 2wd. I believe it is a 4L60E transmission. The truck has 96K miles. Ive never had a issue with the transmission until recently. The other day it started upshifting harsh like it was in tow mode but wasnt. Maybe even harsher than tow mode. The next day it did fine and shifted normally. Then three days latter when I engaged reverse and backed up it felt like it was shuddering a little but then the upshifts were normal and it only did this one time in reverse. It has worked fine for the last three days. The fluid level is correct and the fluid looks fine and doesnt smell burnt. I have no mil light on either. I thought I would maybe drop the pan and check for debris first or is there something else I can check before this? Has anyone ever heard of any of this happening before?
    The first thing to do is check what trouble code is stored in memory. The reason your transmission shifts hard is the PCM goes into failsafe mode which raises the line pressure. The check engine light does not come on when this happens. Clogged filters will not cause a transmission to shift hard.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Legend
    Blog Entries

Agreed, i miss read. not to mention Jimmie seems to be quite the tranny guru...

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Agreed, i miss read. not to mention Jimmie seems to be quite the tranny guru...
    Thanks for the complement Murdog. I built my first transmission in 1965. It was a 3 speed out of my 55 Chevy. My friend help my build it and when we got through we had several needle bearings left over. I was holding them in my hand and my friend said "what are we going to do with these?" I threw them over my shoulder and we both laughed. We were 16 years old. The transmission worked and I drove it until I blew up the low slider later on. I have since rebuilt hundreds of transmissions. I counted them one year <1982>. I rebuilt 332 that year and in previous years I probably rebuilt more cause they were easier to build back then. No electronics and no overdrive. I'm 60 years old now and I'm still in the transmission industry.

There were no codes stored for the transmission. I have also taken two road trips since this glitch and driven around town totaling about 1500 miles since and everything is normal with no recurrence of any problem. So Iam just going to use it until and if something happens. What else can a person do? Maybe flush the unit for grins which would probably cause it to hatch with my luck LOL