GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Exhaust issue

Default Exhaust issue

My truck was misfiring for a while and I recently got a tune up which cured the misfire. I was listening to my truck the last while and kinda thought my idle sounded kinda low, I have dual Flow Pro mufflers and it should hae been more of a rumble than I was getting. It was really bugging me today so I fired it up and went to look under to see if there was any rattling in the cats and as soon as I got under I got a blst of exhaust and some tears in my face. The gasket where the flange from the Y pipe met the OEM muffler is shot (new mufflers are a ways back).
    Obviously this has to be fixed asap but I'm wondering what exactly to do. I was checking the cats because I was wondering if running it too long with the misfire wrecked them and have been thinking of high flow anyhow. If I go with swapping out the cats do they have to be in the original position? Can I just get the flanges cut off and weld pipe in its place? Or if I stick with stock cats for now is that an expensive job to fix up, was wondering if they have to drop the Y pipe to get the new gasket in and fasten properly. If the repair of the original stuff is too expensive I'll just get them t swap out the cats and make whatever modifications necessary I guess. Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions. Happy Easter all

1997 GMC Sierra SLT
    Debadged/demolded, Billet Grille, JBA s/s shorty headers, Magnaflow true duals, Magnaflow cats, K & N FIPK, Stainless nerf bars, Drop Center bumper, RCX 4" lift, XD Hoss Black, 33" DC Mud Country, Bushwacker flares, Black Bear tuned

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Unbolt the Y-pipe where the bad gasket is and put a new one there. And for your cats, if their bad, cut them off and put a pipe in there place. Your truck will thank you with more fuel milage and performance. No cat is way better than even a high-flow cat.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado Junkie View Post
    Unbolt the Y-pipe where the bad gasket is and put a new one there. And for your cats, if their bad, cut them off and put a pipe in there place. Your truck will thank you with more fuel milage and performance. No cat is way better than even a high-flow cat.
    Actually I don't have to work today so I'm gonna hit up the guys who did my dual exhaust and see if they can just weld that up. That rear cat is coming off anyhow when I get the cats and shorties on this summer. We don't have emissions testing here but we do have random inspections and the cats have to be on
    Last edited by Okimaw; 04-19-2010 at 04:23 PM.

1997 GMC Sierra SLT
    Debadged/demolded, Billet Grille, JBA s/s shorty headers, Magnaflow true duals, Magnaflow cats, K & N FIPK, Stainless nerf bars, Drop Center bumper, RCX 4" lift, XD Hoss Black, 33" DC Mud Country, Bushwacker flares, Black Bear tuned

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Welding it up does sound like a good idea and should work. Good Luck.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado Junkie View Post
    Welding it up does sound like a good idea and should work. Good Luck.
    Thanks for your advice. I'll post how it works out

1997 GMC Sierra SLT

Went to the shop yesterday and they said the flanges cant be welded but would replace the gasket for 65-70 part and labour which is a good deal. I wonder how much power and mpg I been losing with that gasket rotted out like that?

1997 GMC Sierra SLT