GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

I just got in from being outside working on the vehicles. I finally measured and pulled the yoke on the driveshaft. There is 2.5 inches exposed yoke from the rear of the tailshaft of the transmission to the end of the yoke. I then pulled the whole driveshaft, which is a major pain, and measured the total length of the splined section of the yoke. The yoke is 4 7/8 inches long. So, you can say I have approximately 50% engagement of the yoke. I have no idea whether 2.5 inches of engagement is enough or not. Anyone know? I definitely don't want to be throwing the yoke while driving!

On an unrelated note, I did finally get the drums off the Saturn and replaced the shoes. The parking brake didn't want to come off and then back on the arm on the shoe, but I got it. Then I stupidly let one of the pistons in the wheel cylinder pop out the bore, so I had to bleed the brake system. I only bled the rear brakes, but I think it's good enough. I'll give it a drive and bleed it more if it needs it.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by grandparon View Post
    I don't think that you can get 4:10 gears for the 10 bolt. You would be better off getting a 14 bolt front to match the rear. Make it heavy duty all the way around, instead of putting the light duty front end under it. Also keep an inventory in the vehicle of what parts you install, for future reference for when you need to replace parts like u-joints, brakes, lug bolts, etc. Year, make and model of what everything comes off from. Have fun with your project and check for any other differances in steering and suspension components too.
    My front 10 bolt axle has 4.10's.....
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

This morning I got under the Suburban, and adjusted the rear drum brakes on the Suburban waaaay out. I adjusted them to the point that I could not hand-turn the tire at all. Took it out for a test drive, and the brakes are acceptable for driving around town. I still can't lock 'em up, and the way the nose of the truck dives when I slam on the brakes, the fronts are obviously doing most of the work, but at least now I can feel safe about driving it down the block. Tommorow I plan to start tearing down one side of the front end to see how the 8-lug parts will match up. I still need to go back to Autozone and find a lower balljoint that's going to work for me, I'm still thinking the one for the 1-ton Savanna's going to work, but I will measure and compare before I leave the store this time...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

This thing has come a LONG way from when i started reading a bout it... Looking forward to see it when its all done.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Went to Autozone today, checked out the lower ball joint for the 1-ton GMC Savanna, it's not going to work. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to find a set of control arms from a 1-ton. That sucks because I had my hands on a set in the junkyard and purposefully left them because I thought I wouldn't need it. I've learned my lesson, if you think you might possibly use it, buy it!
    Christopher

Yesterday I decided to take some time off of work and go do some shopping. The first thing I bought I'm not going to unveil until I have it in hand... but I then went to the junkyard. Lo and behold, the exact truck I pulled the spindles off of 1 month earlier. It appeared noone had touched the truck since I'd been there last. All 4 controls arms were still there. So, I pulled them off, and took the coil springs while I'm at it. So, hopefully I now have the complete front end I need to make the front of the Suburban into a 3/4 ton truck. I'm hoping to start tearing down the existing front end tommorow, or at least start cleaning up the control arms. They are GRUNGY. Sorry, no pics of them yet, but I'll try to get some shots of them tommorow.
    Christopher

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

So you get an early Christmas present!
    Of course working outside the last few weeks would have really been unpleasant.
    It has been really bitter weatherwise lately (at least by our NOLA standards)
    Luck
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Legend
    Blog Entries

Seems like this thing is slowly coming together.. Im looking forward to seeing it when its all done!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

It's been a month since I've made any update to the build thread. Unfortunately, in that month, I really haven't gotten much done. Between Christmas, a vacation between Christmas and New Years, and New Years, I haven't had time. And when I do have time, the weather isn't favorable to work outside. We've been having lots of rain and lots of COLD and lots of darkness. I have one lower control arm cleaned up, painted, and the ball joint installed. I got the same side upper control arm cleaned up, and am in the process of painting it, then installing the ball joint in it. I'm aiming for tearing down the passenger side of the front end this upcoming Saturday and test-fitting the new control arms and spring. I don't have all the new parts I need, so I'm just putting it together, putting a wheel on, and seeing how everything sits. I think these control arms are going to tuck the wheel a tiny bit further into the wheel well. It shouldn't be an issue. The main thing I'm worried about is whether the spring bucket in the lower control arm is going to line up right with the upper coil bucket in the K-frame. It's definitely going to be a let's-see-what-happens situation. I'll try to get some pictures up of the before and after with these control arms. The difference is quite obvious and amazing.

TEASER: My big announcement will hopefully also be this weekend!!! Stay tuned!!!
    Christopher

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

AND THE SAINTS WERE BUSY LOSING!
    Hard to win with no defense!

Yeah our weather has been nasty- cold, wet, dark! Just the sort of weather that makes you want to crawl under a muddy Suburban!
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast