GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... Last Post byLast Post by

I just got done pulling the front cover off that GM 10-bolt front axle. Whew! Either that cover was never taken off since it was installed in 1982, or the cover was very well sealed. I had all the bolts out and was hammering a screwdriver in between the housing and the cover for probably 10 minutes before I got it to budge. Anyways, I checked the ring gear and found the axle is currently geared in 3.42. So, as I previously suspected, I'm going to have to get it re-geared up to 4.10s to match the rear.

I've checked LMC, and it looks like they have all of the brackets I will need to hang the front axle under the truck. I've also determined roughly where the axle will hang, and it doesn't look terrible, though the front axle installation will definitely have to be done with the engine and transmission out so I can have space to work. Not a huge deal since I was planning to rebuild both while I was at it.

Last weekened I sanded and painted the tow hooks I got from the junkyard. I'm painting them with a spray-on bedliner to give them texture. I think they're going to look great, though I stupidly painted them laying in the grass, and the grass got in the paint. So, it's back to lightly sanding them and giving them a couple more coats of paint. Hopefully I can have the hooks on the truck before the beggining of the next week.

OK, that's all I have to report for now. Back to work!
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Good Luck Christopher. You obviously have the whole thing planned out well. Keep the pics coming.
    Morgan
    2010 Silverado Ext. Cab LTZ 2 WD 6 ft bed
    5.3L 6 speed w\ 3.08 rear end
    Navigation Package
    Westin lighted boards
    Undercover SE tonneau cover
    It's a start!

Blog Entries

I know I'm jumping into this awfully late but why did you get a ten bolt front end? why not an HD 44 that already has 8 bolts? It will match up to the strength of that 14 bolt alot better. and what gear ratio will you go with?

Once again, sorry I got into this late. I'm on brake at work and dont have time to read everything. forgot I said anything if this has already been discussed.
    This post has been rated MA LSV, and is intended for mature audiences. Reader discretion is advised. :fighting0037:
    ghst-_-R3CON83 ----------BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2----------------------

(This site won't let me add a real stat generator to my signature)

Blog Entries

hell of a project though!

Very good question Big75. The reason I went with the 10-bolt is I'm trying to maintain as much "bolt-in-ness" as possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Very good question Big75. The reason I went with the 10-bolt is I'm trying to maintain as much "bolt-in-ness" as possible.

If you're talking about the leaf spring perches, It's a fairly easy task to relocate them. angle grinder and a 110 welder. about an hour of work... I'm not bashing on ten bolts by any means btw.

Not related to the drivetrain, but still related to the Suburban, I sanded and primed the roof of it last night. It took roughly 4 hours to sand the roof of the Suburban down, and something like 5 sanding discs on the d/a sander. It then took a little over 2 cans of primer to lay 1 coat of primer down on the whole roof. Needless to say, I HURT!!! I am definitely going to investigate paying someone to paint the whole truck, even if it means taking it to one of the Maacos that are almost 2 hours away. I can't paint to save my life.

Anyways, here's a couple pics after I sanded the roof and before I layed the primer down.

I need to lightly sand the whole roof with some high-grit paper, then lay another primer coat, and then a color coat or 2. Then, if the paint looks decent, I guess I'll clear it. But, that's a good ways down the road. Weekends are the only real time I have to work on the truck...

Here's some pics of the roof after I primed it. I definitely need to lay at least 1 more coat of primer, probably 2. The roof is so huge, I can't get the entire roof at one time, like on the opposite sides of the roof ridges.

Glad I found this thread - keep the pics coming!

Yeah, painting is something I am more than willing to pay someone else to do.

1990 GMC Suburban 2500 5.7
    dual Flowmaster
    "Street Tech" performance module
    new Dick Cepek foglights
    super heavy duty Turbo 400 3-speed automatic
    NP 241 transfer case with the low planetary gears
    dual Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks
    NEW 33" BFGoodrich Mud Terrains wrapped around Cragar American Racing Outlaw 2 aluminum rims

1972 Cheyenne Deluxe - Just got it!

1972 Chevelle Malibu 350

2006 Chevy Express 3500

Does anyone have the spring perch width for a 80s bodystyle Suburban, and preferably also have the spring perch width for a 90s bodystyle pickup? I think the 2 are different, which means I'm going to have to have the spring perches and most probably shock mounts moved on this axle. I just can't figure out what the proper widths would be. The fact that this 14-bolt weighs 500 pounds isn't helping things either...