GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Got in a little while ago from trying out the weight distributing hitch with the Suburban. After a little adjusting of the hitch and bars, I was able to get it so the trailer was level, and the truck only sunk an inch in the back and stayed the same in the front (no rise or dip). So, it was leveled out. Didn't try actually pulling it, but I'm sure it'll pull just fine. Sorry no pics but we were hurrying and it was getting dark. One thing I definitely learned...I WILL be getting an electric trailer jack for the tounge. Cranking the trailer up and down got old FAST.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Cranking the trailer up and down got old FAST.

Usually does. lol
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Yesterday I had some time and the heat wasn't completely unbearable outside, so I got out there and started pulling my steering box. It's worn and original to the truck and I think is causing the last little bit of play I have in the steering wheel. So, out it goes in favor of a new rebuilt one, along with a new pitman arm while I'm at it.

Pulling the box wasn't bad at all. I put the truck up on ramps so I had space to sit under the truck, and then started loosening the steering box bolts. They weren't terribly tight, but they were quite snug. The hardest part was disconnecting the pitman arm. First, I was trying to loosen the nut, but was spinning it the wrong way and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't break loose.

Once I got that sorted through, I had to figure out how to separate the arm from the rest of the linkage. The trusty pickle fork handled that easily. Then the box lifted straight out the top. The new box and arm are being painted, so that's delaying reinstallation. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have the new box and pitman arm installed which will complete the total rebuild and restoration of all the steering components.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Crawdaddy,
    On the southshore we lucked out- no rain.Good thing because I was on my roof doing a half baked repair.
    Has it been raining every day on the northshore? I can picture you crouched under the Suburban- praying to the rain to hold off.
    We are definitely in a typical summer pattern now-rain every day.
    Luck
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Yep, after a long time of no rain, we're back into the regular daily rain. I laid down a couple coats of paint on one side of the parts, but need to get the other side painted, and it rained on the parts. Hopefully they're not severely rusted and I can get them done being painted today. Then I have to sort out how to know that the steering box is centered in its range of travel and put it all back together. Shouldn't be a terrible task to complete. Far less worse than I was dreading.

Will I need to get another alignment done once I get the new box and pitman arm on? I just got one done on the truck, and I had to go to 2 different shops to find someone who was willing to touch a very non-factory truck. I can go back to that place, I just don't want to have to spend another hundred dollars on the alignment.

I got the steering box installed. It was interesting to install because once I got the front 2 bolts in, I had to hang my weight off the back of the steering box to get the rear 2 bolts to line up. The pitman arm is installed, but I need to go pick up a set of metric impact sockets of the huge type. The torque spec for the nut that holds the pitman arm onto the steering box is 180 foot pounds, and there's no way I can do that with a crescent wrench... Sorry no pics of the steering box before it was installed, but I can get some now that it's in. Like all my other new parts, the pitman arm and steering box got a couple coats of flat black paint. For some reason, I love the look of flat black on non-body parts.

While I was under the hood, I noticed that my brake booster is already rusting like crazy. So, I need to get some paint on it to protect it. The question is whether to pull it out of the truck and paint it or leave it in place, try to mask off the rest of the truck, and try to paint as much as I can get to. Of course the former is preferred so I make sure it's all covered and covered uniformally, but I just don't feel like pulling it and messing with the brakes more. We'll see.

Sr. Apprentice

I recently joined...thought I had an ambitious project ahead of me until I saw this. Just had to give you props for having "rise against" playing on the "carputer".
    (fell in love with these guys after finding them from playing rockband)

I have an '89 V2500 350 TBI. Had been hit in the passenger front corner. I replaced all the bent and broken parts. Including the fender. It was a horrifying school bus yellow. I gave it a custom spray can paint job. Bought a rebuilt '91 350 and getting ready for the motor swap. Found a set of 33 12.50 T/A's on black spokers for $100. Had to mod the aluminum rails a bit but they fit alright.
    Currently researching a TPI swap as well. This is how I stumbled on this site. Once I have the funds saved I'll be doing the TPI/motor install. Then exhaust. Then interior customizations. Looks like I'll have to have a custom bumper made to hang the spare on the rear? Strange no one makes such a bumper for full size GM vehicles?
    Last edited by TMAL1; 07-21-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAL1 View Post
    Looks like I'll have to have a custom bumper made to hang the spare on the rear? Strange no one makes such a bumper for full size GM vehicles?
    Look for a bumper made to fit a F/S 73 to 91 Blazer, I've seen that style with a tire carrier.

Tmal1, thanks for the compliments. Rise Against is indeed the best band ever. I've driven 10 and 12 hours one way to go see them live twice. Totally worth it.

This has been a very big and expensive project, but it was also a very great learning experience. It also is a great thought experiment to figure out what other parts will work that don't neccisarily fit the application. I wasn't easy, but I've gotten it done except for little things here and there.

As for the rear bumper, Tim's probably got the best idea. Trick is that if you have barn doors, you'll want a driver-side swing so it doesn't interfere with opening just the passenger door.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122