GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Looking for a quick fix. Spare Tire stuck.

I'm expecting my new tires to be here tomorrow and I have one coming for a spare as well, my old spare tire and rim are still in the factory location under the truck. So today I went to take that tire down and put it in the box of the truck and ran into a snag. I took off the lock below the tailgate, put the linked jack rods into the hole to screw the tire down and after it came down about 3 inches it stopped and started clicking while trying to turn and not dropping, its also doing the same thing going up so the tire is now hanging and flopping around while driving.

Does anyone know how I can get this down, I tried getting up under the truck to see if anything is visible but with the tire still mostly all the way up there is no room to get my arms up, barely enough room to see.

What i had to do with my dads truck is take the torch and cut the wire. You can always put the end cap further up the wire, but my dad prefered to have it in the box of his truck. He says, if the thing wont come down when i don't need it to, what will make it come down when i need it? So he just locks it in the back of his truck.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Only problem though is that the end cap isn't out of the shaft enough to expose the cable, so I can't even cut it, cause that was my original idea.

Maybe soaking the mechanisim with penetrating oil - stay away from the exhaust.
    Just an idea.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

i have this very same problem with my truck. i havent came up with a solution and the guys at the dealorship said it worked fine for them. guess its a good thing i got roadside assistance. if you get yours to come down please let me know what you did

07 silverado classic
    4.8 vortec
    2 1/2" drop shackles
    Diablosport Predator :)
    custom air intake