GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Horn-

Jr. Apprentice

Default Horn-

Am I the only one who thinks that these burbs need a louder horn? I'm thinking of a air horn. I found one horn on the pas. side, But the one on the drivers side is hidden pretty well. Is it possible to un-hook the one, use that feed to wire in a air horn? Has anyone done this? Oh by the way, at my daughters high school today, Some kid had this ford exp. raised about a foot or so, and the darn thing had a TRAIN horn. He blasted that thing, Everybody jumped! Sounded just like a friggin train! To loud for my taste, But a nice small air horn would do my 04 justice.

Legend

You could definitely put an air horn in and wire it up to the existing horn wiring. Makes it a painless install. I just installed air horns on my father-in-law's F350. They're from Wolo, they sound pretty good. Don't let the sound byte on the website fool you. They sound better than that.
    Sounds like a train horn, but not as loud. (same tone, not as obnoxious)
    His are the Powerhouse 418's about in the middle of the page.
    http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

I will say this, sound quality really depends on materials used in construction. Plastic trumpets will sound different than chrome plated.

The only downside I saw, was that for the roof mounted model they don't offer enough hose to hide the compressor very far away from the horns. If you get something for under the hood, it obviously shouldn't matter where you put the compressor.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Jr. Apprentice

I was deff. thinking under the hood. Thanks for the info.!

Default air horns

Quote Originally Posted by TrailLeadr View Post
    You could definitely put an air horn in and wire it up to the existing horn wiring. Makes it a painless install. I just installed air horns on my father-in-law's F350. They're from Wolo, they sound pretty good. Don't let the sound byte on the website fool you. They sound better than that.
    Sounds like a train horn, but not as loud. (same tone, not as obnoxious)
    His are the Powerhouse 418's about in the middle of the page.
    http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

I will say this, sound quality really depends on materials used in construction. Plastic trumpets will sound different than chrome plated.

The only downside I saw, was that for the roof mounted model they don't offer enough hose to hide the compressor very far away from the horns. If you get something for under the hood, it obviously shouldn't matter where you put the compressor.

Something about Fords.

My 92 F150 had one of the whiniest horns, so I took a set of air horns that I had put in my 84 Fiero and because of itís wimpy horn.

Just remember these horns need to pressure up each time you use them. They donít have a storage tank for air, so you have to hold the air horns for a second. Not just rap the horn button.

As far as brands, I donít know.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesnít.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Legend

I would normally agree, but the pump supplied with the horn he got was a high volume horn, I guess. There is no lag time, even with 18 feet of hose installed. He didn't want any holes drilled, so we ran the hose from the engine compartment under the cab, and up to the horn mounted on the "back-rack".

Air horn is the way to go. You could get a PTO operated compressor and run a real train horn. that would move traffic, I'll bet.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Air horn is the way to go. You could get a PTO operated compressor and run a real train horn. that would move traffic, I'll bet.
    Move traffic, cause heart attacks, break windows

Jr. Apprentice

I believe that's what that exp. had. My side view mirrors shook when he blasted that thing.!

Cool mp3 Horn

I used to sell Fiamm air horns. Very Italian. Wolo has one that plays La Cucaracha that I sold to a lot of lunch truck operators. The latest is the mp3 horn. Check it out at: SqueezeOC.com Imagine you can really annoy people with the latest Britney Spears shriek.....err song.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Now that this thread has been appeared and going on, ya'll got me wanting to put a train horn on my sub. It really shouldn't be too hard of an install. run a small 12vdc compressor into a holding tank under the truck...loads of fun to roll around with. It's either gonna be that or a pair of truck horns. Either way it'll be fun
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by