GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile 383 Stroker questions

I have a 95 silverado Z71 with the 5.7 litre 350. I would like to drop a 383 in it by either rebuilding the engine in it or getting a short block and building from there. I would like to know if any of you know what problems I would run into with the ECM? I would still like to use all the OE gauges etc. Is there a stroker that uses a TBI or are they all carbureted? What special modifications would I have to do to the rest of the drive train and what would your recommendations be? I've rebuilt stock engines before but I have never done anything that needed special considerations.
    If anyone knows of a place that sells decent 383 short blocks that would be a great help too. I'm all ears and would like to hear any of your suggestions on packages etc.What kind of auto tranny would work best with the 383, rear end etc.

I appreciate all your help!!

Crate engine manufacturers web sites like Edelbrock should give you some info.

I would not think that it would be too difficult. If you have OBDII it will be easier.
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnson03 View Post
    Crate engine manufacturers web sites like Edelbrock should give you some info.

I would not think that it would be too difficult. If you have OBDII it will be easier.
    What is OBDII? I've gone to those sites including Jegs, but they are pretty vague unless your a gear head.

It doesn't have to be carbed to be a 383. Hell there's 383 LT1s out there and they're fuel injected (although not TBI). But I don't see any problem using the TBI setup with a 383.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

It's not a problem. Your drivetrain will take a beating though.

Legend

Your stock drivetrain and tranny would not be up to it, it would last for a bit and then grenade. They put out ALOT of torque. So you would need the tranny from a 2500/3500 a 14 bolt rearend to begin with. The tranny would need a shift kit at the least if not being complety built for the power of a 383. Then you would have to figure out fuel delivery. Carb, TBI or somekind of aftermarket MPFI. Then you would need to figure out what your fuel pump and lines can handle for increased flow and pressure. These are just what i can think of off the top of my head, I am sure there is more $$$$.
    i would just say rebuild your current 350 put a cam and headers and go from there
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I was also interested in putting 383 in my 90' Suburban but it doesnt sound like it is worth it. I have the 700R4 tranny & 10 bolt rear. I dont want horsepower but I would love additional torque.
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

I've got a 94 3/4 ton that already has the 14 bolt rear end and I'm assuming the 4l80e. If I find a crate 383 to swap in there will the rest of then drivetrain survive with little more than a shift kit?
    I would like to just find a crate to swap in there so I only have it down for a day or 2. Anybody have any experience in doing a 383 swap?
    05 Burb Z71, work in progress, as always.

rmarkey,
    Never swapped in a "crate" 383 (didn't know they made crate 383s to be honest) but I've built a few in carbureted form from a 350. Stock tranny for a 3/4 ton is a 4L80E. Much stronger tranny than the 4L60E. Should hold up just fine even without a shift kit. I would imagine the 14 bolt would hold up as well.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

Legend

GMPP.com has a couple 383 crate motors, just take your VIN to the dealership and they will tell you everything you have on your truck.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast