GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Sqeaky leaf

Default Sqeaky leaf

The leaf springs on my 95 burb are rubbing each other and sqeaking. I sprayed grease between them and that worked until the grease washed off. Any ideas on a permanent fix?
    1989 Pontiac Bonneville LE
    1995 Pontiac Bonneville SE
    1995 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4x4
    2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

A dry lithium grease might last longer. On an old nova, I used some poly spring pads like these that helped. I don't know if anyone makes them for GM Trucks.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

I found this stuff that's a dry lube. It's exactly like lead from your pencil, well, kind of. But it works really good, and stays there for a while. What some people do is cut up those plastic flexible binders and put them between each leaf. Maybe if worst comes to worst.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

On rock crawlers it's popular to place teflon pads between each spring to reduce squeeking.
    You can also lift the truck and "fan out" the spring pack and wash it out real well then sprinkle in ground up pencil lead (graphite) this will also stop squeeking but it needs to be reapplied every few months.
    Any type of petroleum based lubricant will first attact dirt and cause more squeeking then wash out and leave behind dirt.

Jr. Mechanic

I agree with tbplus10. You put just about anything petroleum down there and its like a dust and dirt magnet. They do make these really thin teflon sheets that you can put between each leaf. Depends on how bad you want to pull your leafs apart.