GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Angry What were they thinkin'?

My new to me 2005 Silverado has 17" steel wheels w/ a chrome face. Now I'm not looking for anything different except I'd like to get my hands around the neck of the engineer who designed these wheels.

The chrome covered center runs down over the bead edge and looks, at first glance, like an all chrome wheel. The steel center meets the rim leaving a 1.5" wide channel behind the center b/4 the rim arches up and over to the inside bead edge.

This channel holds water/snow/mud and was rusted badly. The larger cut out that allows access to the valve stem still leaves a good 1/4" to hold water. Seeing how the steel center joins the rim they couldn't make a few drainage holes.

I just spent around 10 hours cleaning up and painting two of the wheels, I bought a 'Mix Pack' of POR15 and top coat [3] 4oz cans of each @ $49.95, along w/ a quart of their recomended cleaner and surface prep. So far I'm happy with the outcome and after reading alot of good things about the POR15, I expect it to solve the rust problem BUT I feel it shouldn't be an issue.

Actually I don't want to choke the engineer, rather his cost accountant boss!

Last edited by wis bang; 04-10-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

Post up some pics
    If you find yourself slipping,.....tie a knot.....hold on tight

Black
    2008 silverado
    1500 crew cab
    5.3 L 4x4
    Borla exhaust, rbp black tip
    tint, bed liner
    2.25 in ready lift leveling kit
    18x9 rbp 94r
    33x12.5x18 toyo mts

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty 71 View Post
    Post up some pics
    Here are some, You can see the rust where the water collects, there is one showing one cleaned VRS one still rusty and one closeup showing glossy the POR15 drying. Later it felt rock hard like an epoxy coating. It needs a top coat as UV will make it look funny unless top coated.

I got the 'chassis' black top coat a satin finish instead of gloss figuring the steel part of the wheel will disapear when viewed from the chrome side but I didn't grab a picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wheel 2.jpg   wheel 6.jpg   wheel 3.jpg   wheel 1.jpg  
    Last edited by wis bang; 04-09-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L

Legend
    Blog Entries

THanks for the info, since i now have these rims on my 2500, and was wondering how to deal with this....
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

The 4oz. cans in the Mix Pack each are supposed to cover 12 sq. feet. I used one can of POR15 and one can of Chassis Black to apply two coats of each product to these two rims. I bought a quart of the 'Marine Clean' cleaner degreaser and a quart of the 'Metal Ready' prep that etches the clean metal b/4 coating w/ the POR15. I used cheap 1" paint brushes from Home Cheapo w/ blue tape and nytrile golves.

The cost was $77.50 b/4 shipping and sales tax. It was shipped within 24 hours and came w/ good instructions and a catalogue of their products. They make engine paint. Manifold paint. a DIY 'Line X' product Caliper paint kits & garage floor coatings too. All of the stuff is somewhat pricy though the Bed Liner kit includes the spray gun for around $160.00...

I think the odd can will go on the top of my Alum Diamond Plate tool box...kill that reflection in the back window....
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    The 4oz. cans in the Mix Pack each are supposed to cover 12 sq. feet. I used one can of POR15 and one can of Chassis Black to apply two coats of each product to these two rims. I bought a quart of the 'Marine Clean' cleaner degreaser and a quart of the 'Metal Ready' prep that etches the clean metal b/4 coating w/ the POR15. I used cheap 1" paint brushes from Home Cheapo w/ blue tape and nytrile golves.

The cost was $77.50 b/4 shipping and sales tax. It was shipped within 24 hours and came w/ good instructions and a catalogue of their products. They make engine paint. Manifold paint. a DIY 'Line X' product Caliper paint kits & garage floor coatings too. All of the stuff is somewhat pricy though the Bed Liner kit includes the spray gun for around $160.00...

I think the odd can will go on the top of my Alum Diamond Plate tool box...kill that reflection in the back window....
    Thanks. Im not to sure when i will get mine done Probably next summer since that is when i am planning on rust repair and paint.. Right now i just think that the rims are a huge improvement over the stock steel wheels..
    And the tool box work is a great idea..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"