GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transmission Swap?

I was just wandering, how big of a deal would it be to swap my 4L60 for a manual tranny? And what manual ones would fit my 5.3 motor? It's an 02 Z71. I know, your gonna think im crazy, but I always preferred a manual, and my auto will go out within the next year or 2 anyways, so I was just wandering if anyone had done this and what the possibilities are. Would I need a new PCM? Just curious.

Easiest method would be to find a wrecked truck of an aproximate year and bodystyle with the manual and start swappin parts.
    You'll neeed the computer, clutch hydraulic system, trans, trans crossmember, flexplate, flywheel, pedal assembly, driveshaft, and a dozen other pieces I'm forgetting. Definately a big job but if it's what you want it is doable.

Legend
    Blog Entries

As for the 5.3L i do believe that the bel housing will mate up you might need an adapter but i do believe the 4.8L and the 5.3L share the same bellhouseing bolt pattern.
    As said it is a fairly large undertaking but well worth it, and if you do do it do a big write up and lots of pics. It was something i always wanted when i had those trucks.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I will do that. I was wandering if i could put somethin other than the standard 5 speed that came on 1500's (I think you could get a 2wd 99 or 00 manual with the 5.3), like a 2500 heavy duty tranny? I dont know, still in my head at this point, but within the next year or so it will be a reality, I will be doin it myself of course (with help of friend) so I will make a big write up bout it on here. I dont know how to put pics here though, so someone will have to teach me when time comes.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Got ya.. I was thinkning along the lines of a 2500 6spd tranny.. with the granny low... thatd be fun!!
    And yes there might have been 1 or 2 bought in those years but good luck finding one...

Jr. Apprentice

if you are serious, look into the NV3500 trans for med duty driving, but if shes going up in the air or towing alot then the NV4500 is the only way to go. finding those in junkyards are unlikely, they go very fast due to demand. If you want I can shoot you some info on where to find the parts you need, quality and most important new stuff. I have done the swap to countless trucks and always been happy with the outcome. You may want to plan this extensivly down to borrowing a car or rental while your truck is down. Most people dont do it in one day. NOVAK is a good source for info, just remember they do their write ups assuming you are dropping one of these in a JEEP. Any help I can provide, is just a phone call away.