GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How important to match tread pattern on 4WD?

I have a decent set of Yoko Geolanders (50-60% remaining) on my 99 burban but just got unrepairable damage to one. Of course I can't find a used match.

Discount said they could put a new one on, but I'm thinking that height difference between the new tire and the 3 existing would put strain on the drivetrain.

I've always heard you should keep the exact same tread design on 4WD but I had a used tire place tell me that overall height match was more important. Would it be a mistake to put a different model used tire on that was closer to overall tread height of the other 3 or should I buy a new one and find a place to shave the new tire?

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to avoid buying a whole set of tires.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Family Force 6; 04-10-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: mispelling
    Current Rides: |99 Chevy Suburban- the family truckster |93 Lincoln Town Car- 250K miles & still churning -now a fan of the Panther platform
    Former GM cars: |78 Suburban 454 |71 Buick Electra 225 (deuce & a quarter) |75 Monte Carlo- 400SB- heaviest doors GM every made |70 Impala coupe- my 1st car

Legend

Honestly if it was mine, i would just buy two brand new tires and keep them on the rear. Then when you rotate them just go from back to front. then when the ones from the fron go to the rear swap sides.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Blog Entries

tread design doesn't mean anything to the drivetrain. just make sure the tires are the same size. If one is brand new and the rest were completely bald you're looking at a radius height difference of less than 3/4". wouldn't worry about it, buy one. and put it on the right rear.
    This post has been rated MA LSV, and is intended for mature audiences. Reader discretion is advised. :fighting0037:
    ghst-_-R3CON83 ----------BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2----------------------

(This site won't let me add a real stat generator to my signature)

As noted, overall diameter is more important than tread design. It can be difficult finding one or two tires with the same overall diameter. I found this out years ago on my BII, running 235/75/15. I decided to replace a pair of tires with a different make/model (but still 235/75/15) of used tires. Drivetrain binding was quite noticeable in 4wd.

Tough scenario. Not sure what I'd do. One hates to replace three good tires, but it might be best in the long run. good luck.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World