GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: What kind of tonneau cover would you buy?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single piece (hard)

24 20.17%
  • Multiple piece (hard)

22 18.49%
  • Soft cover (with rail support)

53 44.54%
  • Soft cover (w/out rails)

11 9.24%
  • Custom made

2 1.68%
  • I don't need or want a tonneau cover

7 5.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Tonneau covers

Default Tonneau

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    I will be buying this cover because it rolls up and the bows are flat instead of arched.
    I found this cover on e-bay...delivered for $229.

Default NBS Tonneau

Can anybody tell me the difference between the bed on the Classic and the bed on the NBS as to why older model hard tonneaus won't fit? I mean...is it THAT big a difference? Thx.

Default Luv/Hate

Well i had the hard fiberglass kind thats painted to match truck(low rider)i think there called.It was on the truck wen i bought it.
    Cant beat the looks,it function well & it locks.
    Great for items that are lower than box rails. but SUCKS for anything higher. Try puttin 2 dirt bikes in there.
    Maybe i would look @ soft tonneau down the road,but never hard again!
    Thats my 2cents.:sarcastic:
    79 Sierra 1/2 ton
    90 Silverado 1/2 ton extcab
    92 Silverado 1/2 ton stepside 4x4
    94 Sonoma 1/4 ton
    96 Silverado 1/2 ton extcab
    08 silverado 1/2 ton crewcab Z71

Blog Entries

Default Follow-up

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    I will be buying this cover because it rolls up and the bows are flat instead of arched.

I purchased this cover and installed last week. It looks sharp and is nice and tight. My fuel mileage improved by over 2 mpg. I hauled a new dinet set for my Wife today and it was quick and easy to roll it up.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have always been one to go WAY out of the box! So here's what I like, Diamondback covers solid diamonplate 3-piece tonneau cover. The front and rear hatches open, and when closed you can put up to 1,000lbs on it. I have had my Polaris 800 sportsman up there, with the supplied 14 foot ramps. This cover is for work, show, and play! If you can top this, show me something more versatile!..........TRPLXL2
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/att...1&d=1231995458
    Last edited by TRPLXL2; 01-16-2009 at 08:53 AM.

I've had a Retrax cover on 2 trucks now and I love it. It is lockable and it has kept my bed dry and free of debris on both trucks. Retrax doesn't claim to be weatherproof but the bed on my old truck stayed dry and my 07 Silverado's bed is always clean and dry, too.

Installation is very easy and if you need to take the cover off in order to haul something big, taking it off isn't too hard a job. You will probably need two people to remove the cover but if you are hauling something that big you probably will have the help available. Also, I have an over-the-rail spray-in liner and that was not an issue on either truck for installation of the Retrax tonneau.

I bought both of my Retrax tonneaus from truckaddons.com because they were cheaper than buying directly from Retrax for some reason. If I remember correctly, the shipping was free. Good luck with your hunt for the right cover. I really do like the Retrax and have spent the money on it twice.
    Last edited by Aiblinger; 01-17-2009 at 05:19 AM.

2009 Silverado 2500HD
    Duramax Z-71
    Crew Cab
    Line-X spray-in liner
    Re-Trax retractable tonneau cover

Quote Originally Posted by mrtaylorwv View Post
    Can anybody tell me the difference between the bed on the Classic and the bed on the NBS as to why older model hard tonneaus won't fit? I mean...is it THAT big a difference? Thx.
    for starters they are a different size and they are tapered-wider on one end. and now on the new body GMC and Chevy are even different from each other. They always used to be the same bed. No more easy swaps for finding a good used deal!

Sr. Apprentice
    Blog Entries

Default cover

i got a color matched one piece hardshell fiberglass for a steal... 500 cash with only 3 scratches on it.. preference is for the hard covers becuase they can be locked and you can still strap somethin down on top of it.. and.. when it comes time for the parties that are a bit crazy, all the little chicks that like to dance can get on top of the cover and you now have a small dance floor! lol

I have the Truxedo roll up that I took off my 2005 HD and put on my 2009 1500, both extended cabs. It fits fine even though the trucks call for different part numbers.

i have a soft truxedo low pro on mine. i really like the looks it gave me
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris