GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1998 5.7 vortec no start..

I'm having a problem with a 98 vortec 5.7...It will only start cold if starting fluid is shot in the throttle body area,,,once it is running it is ok..runs fine...if you shut it off and restart with in about 5 mins,,,it goes,wait longer,and it need to be primed again. the distibutor cap and wires are new,as is the fuel pump and filter,has over 60lbs at the injectors..also the entire injector spider has been replaced..I've read people having the same exact problem,but have seen no solutions...anyone help?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Do you have the same 60psi after the 5min plus of sitting?? only reason i ask is it sounds like the pressure is bleeding off somehow...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Can I assume that the 60 psi fuel pressure you measured was at a time when it wouldn't start? Where it will start on starting fluid suggests that the problem is a fuel delivery problem.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I had a 72 gmc that did the samething..always had a bottle of gas in the back. Put a new carb on it and it stopped..
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    Can I assume that the 60 psi fuel pressure you measured was at a time when it wouldn't start? Where it will start on starting fluid suggests that the problem is a fuel delivery problem.

yes..60 lbs when the key is turned to on...55 lbs when running...no ck eng light codes...runs ok after a shot of starting fluid,and will restart if started within 4 mins

maybe an issue with the injectors opening. Are the spark plugs "wet" after trying to start?
    Last edited by MrShorty; 04-12-2010 at 09:41 PM.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Jr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

what about a vac. leak ? My ok i hate to say it all but my honda did the same thing it turned out to be the t.b. was loose as soon as i fixed it it ran and started fine.

Legend
    Blog Entries

IS it using coolant at all???
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Default '00 5.7L Vortec cold start problem

I have the same problem...and just joined as well, so I'll follow along. I just bought this truck a few weeks ago, and I knew it had this problem.

'00 5.7L has a problem starting in the mornings or after it's been sitting for more than an hour or two. first turn it usually doesn't try to start, second turn and after it will try to start, sit and wait, a few more turns and it fires up without any problem. after that, no problems at all, first turn and she's running fine.

hoping to get some good ideas following this thread....
    '00 Chevy C2500 5.7L 2WD LS Crew Cab w/Std Bed - 176K Miles
    Last year of the Classic/Old Body Style

Quote Originally Posted by dlhendo View Post
    I have the same problem...and just joined as well, so I'll follow along. I just bought this truck a few weeks ago, and I knew it had this problem.

'00 5.7L has a problem starting in the mornings or after it's been sitting for more than an hour or two. first turn it usually doesn't try to start, second turn and after it will try to start, sit and wait, a few more turns and it fires up without any problem. after that, no problems at all, first turn and she's running fine.

hoping to get some good ideas following this thread....
    We finally solved the problem...seems the fuel pump we purchased wasn't up to the task,it would lose pressure after sitting 5 mins..here is what we did..we took apart the original pump module,and replaced the electric pump inside with another new pump,made for a 96 SS impala.. this was only 69 bucks,and not the 200 plus for the complete unit. Works fine now..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast