GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1500HD Upgrades

Sr. Apprentice

Smile 1500HD Upgrades

Now, I hate to make another "Will This Fit???" thread, but after some research, I think I am ready to ask you guys for some feedback, and to make sure my head is straight thinking that this will all fit together.

I plan on getting a leveling kit, new shocks, and new tires. I like my stock rims.

For shocks, the universal consensus seems to be that Bilsteins are amazing.

So I'm thinking:

Front Shocks: Amazon.com: Bilstein BE5-6081-H0 Heavy-Duty Gas Shock Absorber: Automotive

Rear Shocks: Amazon.com: Bilstein BE5-6082-H0 Heavy-Duty Gas Shock Absorber: Automotive

Tires: LT285/75R16 E 126Q BFGoodrich® All-Terrain T/A® KO
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=322555

Now, as for the leveling kit, I am torn between these 2:

1. http://readylift.com/c-37-silverado-...-8-lug-25.aspx
    2. http://roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_hd_leveling.html

My Questions:

1. The readylift is advertised as 2.5" while the RoughCountry is advertised at 2", is there really a difference?
    2. Should these tires fit on my stock 16" wheels or should I consider going smaller? :(
    3. Any other comments regarding this stuff?

Thank you guys, you have all been great in helping me out in the past.

Total Pricing (Parts/Shipping/Tire Install)
    w/Readylift Kit = $1438.32
    w/RoughCountry Kit = $1331.82
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.jpg  

If you get 285's hey will rub on the front even with a leveler kit. I like my Rancho's better than Bilsteins.
    Last edited by giorge; 04-07-2010 at 11:48 PM.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by giorge View Post
    If you get 285's hey will rub on the front even with a leveler kit. I like my Rancho's better than Bilsteins.
    What did you like about your Ranchos better than your Bilsteins?

Your stock shocks are Bilsteins. I have used Ranchos since they came out, they dampen the ride a little bit more, not as bouncey. What year is your truck?

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10

If buy a 3" or a 4" lift. Then your 285's would fit & not rub. Going with bigger tires will also kill your gas mileage.
    Last edited by giorge; 04-08-2010 at 12:14 AM.

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by giorge View Post
    Your stock shocks are Bilsteins. I have used Ranchos since they came out, they dampen the ride a little bit more, not as bouncey. What year is your truck?
    Really?! The stocks are Bilsteins? That's news to me.

Truck is an 02.

I looking to keep this all under $1500, if I need to go smaller than 285s, then I may do that.
    2002 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 EXT Cab - Had 03-06
    2000 Silverado 1500 LS EXT Cab - Had 08-09
    2002 Silverado 1500HD LT Crew Cab - 2009-Current

My 03 Avalanche had stock Bilsteins, I found out from an alignment guy. Not all are Bilsteins just on packages like Z71.
    Last edited by giorge; 04-08-2010 at 12:29 AM.

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10

In my opinion the new torsion keys that "re-index" the torsion bars are not the way to go. I think that it puts unwanted loads on the suspension system. There are a ton of threads on the subject of the keys. The right way is to go with a 3 or 4 inch suspension lift. The steering and suspension geometry remain factory like. Trust me, 6 people, including myself, were all friends. 4 of them have lifted there truck with keys and 2 of them broke half shafts, and the other two chew up tires cuz their steering is all muffed up. They are all a little rough on their rigs sometimes but they are all well taken care of. My truck is stock height cuz i like my mileage, and the last guy has a older rancho lift with no problems other than horrible mileage. these are all 99-02 body style. The newest lifts out there are really nice, just have to drop the coin for em. Unfortunately for us, we bought a truck that is the most expensive to lift in that year rangea

2002 Silverado 1500 5.3|
    Black and Machined Devino 16s|
    Maxxis Bighorn 265/75 |
    Bully Dog Triple Dog with SNB Tune
    |
    Airaid CAI |
    Flowtech 2.5 Afterburner
    |
    Tint Covered ARP Clear Tailights|10% tint so u cant see up in my windows!|

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lvz2ryd View Post
    In my opinion the new torsion keys that "re-index" the torsion bars are not the way to go. I think that it puts unwanted loads on the suspension system. There are a ton of threads on the subject of the keys. The right way is to go with a 3 or 4 inch suspension lift. The steering and suspension geometry remain factory like. Trust me, 6 people, including myself, were all friends. 4 of them have lifted there truck with keys and 2 of them broke half shafts, and the other two chew up tires cuz their steering is all muffed up. They are all a little rough on their rigs sometimes but they are all well taken care of. My truck is stock height cuz i like my mileage, and the last guy has a older rancho lift with no problems other than horrible mileage. these are all 99-02 body style. The newest lifts out there are really nice, just have to drop the coin for em. Unfortunately for us, we bought a truck that is the most expensive to lift in that year rangea
    Thank you for your input, this is the first I've heard of shafts breaking due to torsion bar keys. I'm not rough on my truck, it gets babied, 99% of my time is spent on asphalt, with the occasional river trip, or trail ride, I'm not climbing rocks or anything, so I think that a full suspension lift might be too much cash if I don't plan on beating on it, but if the torsion bar keys are going to break my shafts, I won't be getting those either.

Regarding gas mileage, I don't want to sound like an ass or anything, but if I was concerned about it, I wouldn't be driving an HD 6.0L quad cab truck
    2002 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 EXT Cab - Had 03-06
    2000 Silverado 1500 LS EXT Cab - Had 08-09
    2002 Silverado 1500HD LT Crew Cab - 2009-Current

Gotcha on the mileage thing. Hey these were circumstances that were pushing the limits of the Chevy IFS design. Not extreme, but rather a constant. We all live, work, and play in the rough mts. of Idaho. If your truck motors alot of miles on the payment then keys are probably fine. What Im referring to is the extreme angle that these can put the CV shafts at, here is a "guideline" that i follow. Get under your truck and count the number of ridges on the shafts rubber boot that are touching each other while the truck just sits under its own weight. If three or more are touching then there is a chance of premature wear and/or failure. Some people when they crank their stock torsion bars (to gain height,) cant get a proper alignment without having to lower them back down. My stock torsion bars are bottomed out, all the tight, the most you can crank em. I have 2 ridges on my boots touching, and NO alignment, steering issues. My point is every truck is different. If your up for it? ... just try cranking your torsion bolts all the way (follow correct procedure),and drop the coin to see if it can be aligned. It might not be able too at that setting. Like i said every truck is different. If its all a no go. Try the keys? Just be prepared for extreme shaft angles, and one really stiff ride!

2002 Silverado 1500 5.3|
    Black and Machined Devino 16s|
    Maxxis Bighorn 265/75 |
    Bully Dog Triple Dog with SNB Tune
    |
    Airaid CAI |
    Flowtech 2.5 Afterburner
    |
    Tint Covered ARP Clear Tailights|10% tint so u cant see up in my windows!|

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast