GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Default Guage Cluster pin/Harness Question

I have a 1988 Chevy Silverado 2500 4X4 350 TBi 5spd. Just got it a couple of weeks ago after getting rid of my F-150.. Needed more pulling power.
    Anyhow I have owned an 88 before and i know how to wire in an after market Tach. however i dont really want to. I got a cluster from a guy i got a bunch of other parts from for my truck. Upgrades for the interior and A/C components that were "removed" from mine.
    Well anyhow i thought that it might just be a simple plug and play similiar to the rangers that i have owned... How wrong i was. All I had was a blinker otherwise notta...
    So here is my question. Will a guage harness, pins side simply be a cut and splice affair?? I know i have to nearly remove the dash to get far enough in where there wouldnt be any interference with the large bundle of connections it would make. Basically i am wondering if the wires are the same color etc for the same function (ie purple with a white stripe to purple with a white stripe)?
    I know it would be easier to put in an after market tach but i really like to make everything inside my truck look like it was put there by the factory.
    Ive already gone to the trouble to make the interior a two tone red (factory color) and grey (Where i got the captains chairs and rear seat out of a 1994 including power) So as i said im not afraid to go a little extra further...
    Thanks in advance for any help anyone has.. ANd alas if this idea wont work i guess ill have to find myself a nice after market tach and sell the factory cluster i got..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend
    Blog Entries

nobody yet?? if nothing else some color key schematics would work??

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well here is an update.
    I found a harness for my truck, and will be doing some "experimenting" on this issue.. Ill be sure to take a log of pics. Just incase some one wants to do this as well..

Oh and if you have info on this i wont be starting this till Wed.....

Legend
    Blog Entries

WEll i ended up getting a 1994 Silverado clutster.. with a pigtail of the harness.. I havent gotten any further into the issu, but i will be attempting at some point this week to get everything hooked up...

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yet another update: So i finally got a chance yesterday to start in on my "Project", so I removed all the needed compnents. Spliced into the wiring harness, tried my best to color match, and ensure proper wire to wire connection...
    I hooked up the new cluster and Voila, I had Oil pressure, Temp, Fuel. And that was it.. I turn on the lights and wouldnt you know all of that works. Even the dummy lights..
    You will notice, I didnt say Tach, Speedo, Voltage!!! Even after several attempts, and dealing with a multimeter... Whoops....
    So NOw that my harness is wrecked.. I get the pure joy of going and getting another harness, pulling my dash, and replacing it.. HAHAHA. So I will have a tach guage cluster, just not one from 1994. Its out of a 1991, and the harness will be as well..
    Ill be sure to take pics of my foray into doing things that the factory should have done in the first place as the "drama" continues....

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well another update.. I got a complete wiring harness out of a 1991 chevy and installed it. Took 2 days and about 1million little 7mm bolts. I put it all back together started the truck and wouldnt ya know it no tach still... I had a bad wire in the harness that allowed me to not have a good ground somewhere!! any burnt up the harness when i fired up the headlights.
    So tomorrow i am going to put one in out of a 1993, This one has never been touched and the one that put in someone had a good time wiring in accessories rather than doing it right.
    So here we continue to go...

Legend
    Blog Entries

Oh my my....................That's quite a mess you have got there.

A few months ago I had bought an Escalade cluster for $40, I was going to put it in my S-10 for something different. Well I had the same situation you did, the pin outs were the same colors but just in different spots. I had the tools to remove the pins without cutting and splicing, but I was afraid of a complete melt down like you had. I didn't want to say anything earlier, because I am not the best person to talk to about electrical stuff. I hope you get it fixed okay...............
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Legend
    Blog Entries

FINAL UPDATE, SUCESS!!!!! only took me 3days of messing around, and a complete 1993 Chevy Silverado sitting next to it. I took the entire wiring harness out of the 1993 silverado. And i mean the entire darn thing. Wiried every sensor, and ran them to the bulk head and thru the bulk head access, under the dash you name it.. I put everything back together, dash, motor etc. Put the cluster out of the 1993 in it. and Vola I have full instrumentation. It looks great and works like it should.
    I am extreamly happy with the results however I WILL NEVER DO something like this again. From now on if it isnt a 1992 up then ill just buy myself an aftermarket tach and slap it in there..
    For all of you following this in 1992 99% of cars (this is GM only Ford had been this way since the mid 80s) all had the same wiring harnesses installed into them the instrumentation were the only things that were different.
    Good luck and if anyone would like more info or some info one what to do please let me know ill be happy to help if i can..