GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Upgrades worth the money?

I am pricing out my new truck now, and obvious the dealer wants me to get all the bells and whistles, but is it really worth the money to get the 5.3L? Z71?

I do not tow or haul anything, ever... i want a truck because im into trucks and powerfull engines.

Does the active fuel management really pay off enough to warrant the extra $1000?

Also, is there any reason at all to get the full power package for $1700 with the engine...

All i really want is fog lamps, and the aluminum wheels. Is the z71 package a deal worth taking as a whole if i do not offroad? Will it give the truck an overall better ride?

What else in the vehicle does the z71 change other than fog lights/rims/shocks?

Lastly, if i got the z71 and the power package, arent i overpaying as both upgrade the rims to aluminum alloy?
    Last edited by Trauma5951; 04-12-2010 at 10:49 PM.

I didn't get the Z71 package but I did get the rest of the options you mentioned. I can tell you I'm glad I have the 5.3L with the 6 speed tranny. I love my truck but to be honest my fuel economy sucks enough as it is. I couldn't imagine having the smaller V8 and 5 speed with worse mileage. I also like having the extra horses in the event I ever need the power. So far I'm averaging 15 -16 MPG but admittedly I've had a problem keeping my foot under control.

As for the power options and other bells and whistles I personally think this is a must unless you're buying this truck for a farm. I have a 08 2500 at work with no options and it's just plain boring. In fact it's so boring I almost didn't buy my truck. But when I drove the 1500 with the nicer options it was completely different. I drive my work truck all over the state and when I took my new truck on a nice trip last week it was so much more comfortable.

I'm not sure how the Z71 package effects the ride but mine rides wonderful for a truck. I love the ride height and with the 20" upgraded factory rims and tires it handles better than I figured it would.

My advice would be to buy as much as you can afford, that way you won't have regrets down the road. I would certainly get the 5.3, I've ridden in 4.8 trucks and they seem a little under powered to me.
    Adam

Legend

i dont know what people complain about mileage on a truck for, its a truck, my dad has an 07 with the active management on a 6.0 V8 and gets 22 on the highway, at 65mph. Get the 6.2
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Engineer
    Blog Entries

I got 21.5 with my 5.3 last Jan in -7 to -13 below on a trip.
    2009 Chevy Sliverado Std cab 5.3, 4 speed Auto 2wd, Trifecta Tuned
    1926 Model T Bucket powered by Chevy LS 5.3 TH350 and S-10 rear axle Build period Sept 7, 2010 to April 2011
    1979 Starcraft Islander 221 Great Lakes Fishing Boat
    SOLD: 2006 Chevy HHR The Deer Slayer.

so should i just get the 5.3 engine or do i need the entire power package... again i do not tow or anything, ever.

I'd definitely get the 5.3. The fuel management system on my really makes a difference. I drive to work most mornings on 4 cylinders and it has plenty of power when I need it. The 6 speed is great in the mountains. The rest depends on your budget.
    Morgan
    2010 Silverado Ext. Cab LTZ 2 WD 6 ft bed
    5.3L 6 speed w\ 3.08 rear end
    Navigation Package
    Westin lighted boards
    Undercover SE tonneau cover
    It's a start!

Sr. Apprentice

Like the others, I'd suggest the 5.3L. The other options are a matter of taste and wants. Normally you can sell a "kitted out" truck for more. Just buy what is in your budget or if you are mechanically inclined, buy more of a base and kit it out to your taste with aftermarket/dealer products.
    2001 2500HD 4x4 8.1L/ally,CCSB,diablo with diablew tuned and too much to list....

ok, but is the power package neccesary or can i just add the 5.3l for $800 more?

The power package seems to include everything i don't need, towing things and stronger differential for towing... Is there any reason to get this stuff?

Also the power package says it comes with aluminum rims... but at the same time the z71 also comes with aluminum rims, so wouldnt i be overpaying if i got both packages? The z71 rims are nicer...

The features i want are

5.3L
    Fog Lights
    Alloy Wheels

Basically what i am asking is if it is in my best interest to just get the entire z71 package that includes the fog lights, wheels, some nice chrome etc. Or if i should just get the base parts for almost as much i believe price wise...

And do i need the power package, or can i easily live without it and be just as comfortable.

Sr. Apprentice

My .02 would be to get the Z71 package with the 5.3L which comes with the 3.08:1 axle ratio. The Z71 will also demand a better resale value.
    2001 2500HD 4x4 8.1L/ally,CCSB,diablo with diablew tuned and too much to list....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast