GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Request for Horn Advice

I would like to add extra loud horns to my truck. What I am requesting are members recommendations on electric horns that they are using. I'd like to stay with the electric horns to avoid installation problems of air horns. I've searched the site and found information on air horns, but nothing much about electric horns. Searching the web turns up several dealers, however trying to interpret their info can be confusing for me at least.

You might be confusing AIR horns with TRAIN horns. I have Air horns on my Ram. It is just as easy as hooking up an electric horn. You run the factory horn switch wire to a relay. You also run a ground and power to the relay. Then run a wire to the compressor that comes with the horns (looks like a soup can). Then you run the air line from the compressor to the trumpets (usually 2 or 3) that come with the kit. Really, finding where to mount the pieces is harder than wiring and plumbing.
    The kits come with the relay, air lines, compressor and trumpets. Harbor freight carries a couple different horn setups starting at $20 ang going up. If the relay is going to be in the engine compartment, be sure to use some dielectric grease or vaseline on the terminals, as well as the compressor terminals. If they are exposed to the under hood elements, especially if you live in a state that uses road salt, they'll rot pretty quick.

TRAIN horns are where you have to mount a big air tank and a larger compressor and have pressure valves and cut-off switches and all that. The smaller kits are easy, and pretty loud.
    Last edited by djturnz; 10-05-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: forgot add part about TRAIN horns

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Check out Wolo and Piaa they both make some good electric horns..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Thanks for the input! As usual. I picked up some good information.

Hella also makes electric horns.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. After I find and install what I want, I'll post a message here to let everyone know what I ended up with.

Here's the latest. I ended up with a set of 4 horns from a 91 Cadillac Fleetwood. the are supposed t be over 120 db loud. They are now on my truck truck but don't work. So I'm asking for more help. A 30A relay was instlled with power from the stock horn to pin# 85, pins 86 and 87 are ground. Power was run to the add-on horns from pin #30. The horns are wired paralell. The stock horn still works and the relay "clicks" when the stock horn is activated. Any helpwill be greatly appreciated.

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

Whelen makes a nice Electronic Air Horn... It's probably more then what you're willing to pay though... http://www.strobesnmore.com/whelen-a...pa-system.html

You'll also have to buy a siren speaker for the above mentioned unit... But they are crazy loud...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

85 should be ground, 86 should come from your horn button, which is powered on the other side, 87 should go to the new horn, which is grounded on the other side, and 30 should be main power coming from battery/fuse block.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Thanks for the help troutbug. When the weather settles down here in NW Indiana so I can work on my truck, I'll try hooking up the relay the way you suggest. I'll let you know how it works out.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by