GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default A question for the Canadian members

Iím in the process of redoing my exhaust from the manifolds back and am looking at some of the places online for shorties and cats. My Y pipe is extremely rusted and Iíd rather replace the whole works now instead of just putting on the cats alone. I see some good prices on direct fit OE with high flows on them. I was wondering what I should be expecting to pay for duty/brokerage fees on a direct fit Magnaflow direct fit catalytic converter assembly, priced at $335 USD. If itís not that much Iíll probably just order my Edelbrock shorties from there too, the best price I can get around here is $450 + taxes. Just wondering what others experience has been

1997 GMC Sierra SLT
    Debadged/demolded, Billet Grille, JBA s/s shorty headers, Magnaflow true duals, Magnaflow cats, K & N FIPK, Stainless nerf bars, Drop Center bumper, RCX 4" lift, XD Hoss Black, 33" DC Mud Country, Bushwacker flares, Black Bear tuned

Is there a reason why you are doing shorties? Long tube headers are worth every penny and will give you better gains.

You can get long tubes, with Y-pipe and high flow cats already on it, made out of stainless steel. Can't remember how much though. I also recommend long tubes, that's what i'm getting.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    You can get long tubes, with Y-pipe and high flow cats already on it, made out of stainless steel. Can't remember how much though. I also recommend long tubes, that's what i'm getting.
    Where are you getting it from and how much? I'll hold off and save my pennies to get a setup like that.

I'm personally not getting it, since i cut my cats off, i'm getting long tube headers. My cousin works at Phoenix Auto Parts, and she said that they cost around $700 for the cheap ones, and $900 for the expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    I'm personally not getting it, since i cut my cats off, i'm getting long tube headers. My cousin works at Phoenix Auto Parts, and she said that they cost around $700 for the cheap ones, and $900 for the expensive ones.
    So you're saying that's for the whole bundle long tubes and the Y pipe with cats for 7 or 9 hundred? Btw how does the long tubes sound with your dual flow pros? I got the same setup, dual flow pros , not the V Force tho

Quote Originally Posted by Okimaw View Post
    I was wondering what I should be expecting to pay for duty/brokerage fees on a direct fit Magnaflow direct fit catalytic converter assembly, priced at $335 USD. If itís not that much Iíll probably just order my Edelbrock shorties from there too, the best price I can get around here is $450 + taxes. Just wondering what others experience has been
    To answer this part of the question, if you can get this stuff shipped USPS, you will pay either $5 or $8 (seems to depend on the day on this) for service charge from Canada Post, plus PST/GST on the converted price listed in the shipping docs. This will be per package, so if it is coming in more than one package, make sure they split the price up amoungst the packages, or ship some with 0 value. If you must use UPS, the minimum brokerage charge will be $40. Then add in the PST/GST. With UPS if the packages do not get labelled correctly, you will be hit for the brokerage fee on each package for the full value, and UPS will not do anything about the overcharge. In other words, do not buy it if they insist on using UPS. FedEx is very similar in brokerage fees, except they tend to bill you later, and if you don't pay, they will bill the sender.
    Just as an aside to this, I recently purchased a leather wrapped wheel from chevypartsclub.com, they only show UPS/FedEx on their site, but if you ask them they will ship USPS. It was $8 more for USPS, took about 10 days to get here, and had a $11 total taxes/servicecharge fee from Canada Post (compared to the min $40 plus taxes from UPS). It saved me at least $40 compared to UPS, and got here in about the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by doug_scott View Post
    To answer this part of the question, if you can get this stuff shipped USPS, you will pay either $5 or $8 (seems to depend on the day on this) for service charge from Canada Post, plus PST/GST on the converted price listed in the shipping docs. This will be per package, so if it is coming in more than one package, make sure they split the price up amoungst the packages, or ship some with 0 value. If you must use UPS, the minimum brokerage charge will be $40. Then add in the PST/GST. With UPS if the packages do not get labelled correctly, you will be hit for the brokerage fee on each package for the full value, and UPS will not do anything about the overcharge. In other words, do not buy it if they insist on using UPS. FedEx is very similar in brokerage fees, except they tend to bill you later, and if you don't pay, they will bill the sender.
    Just as an aside to this, I recently purchased a leather wrapped wheel from chevypartsclub.com, they only show UPS/FedEx on their site, but if you ask them they will ship USPS. It was $8 more for USPS, took about 10 days to get here, and had a $11 total taxes/servicecharge fee from Canada Post (compared to the min $40 plus taxes from UPS). It saved me at least $40 compared to UPS, and got here in about the same time.
    So if I can go the USPS option, where does it get shipped to? My local post office? I see one of the places has the USPS option. $335 US for the whole Y pipe and magnaflow high flow cats is a pretty darn good deal so I'm gonna try that route. Thanks for all the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Okimaw View Post
    So if I can go the USPS option, where does it get shipped to? My local post office? I see one of the places has the USPS option. $335 US for the whole Y pipe and magnaflow high flow cats is a pretty darn good deal so I'm gonna try that route. Thanks for all the advice
    It goes to your shipping address. If you are not home, they leave a note and it goes to your local postal counter (like the ones in Shoppers Drug Mart). It works just like a registered letter would.