GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Problem with 4 wheel drive High setting.

Well here I go again, I have maybe a problem and I'd like to ask you guy's if it is normal.

When I enter 4 wheel Hi setting and turn my wheels to almost max lock my '06 TB jerks and feels like the traction control being applied to the front wheels. it is hard to explain and is only noticed on 4Wheel Hi and only when I cut the wheels sharp, to like enter a parking spot.

Does this make sense, and has anyone felt the same loss of power and jerky almost like the brakes are being applied feeling in 4W Hi.

DR.Z

I see I put this in the wrong heading it is a TrailBlazer sorry.......
    Last edited by DR.Z; 03-04-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Entered in wrong group .

Quote Originally Posted by DR.Z View Post
    Well here I go again, I have maybe a problem and I'd like to ask you guy's if it is normal.

When I enter 4 wheel Hi setting and turn my wheels to almost max lock my '06 TB jerks and feels like the traction control being applied to the front wheels. it is hard to explain and is only noticed on 4Wheel Hi and only when I cut the wheels sharp, to like enter a parking spot.

Does this make sense, and has anyone felt the same loss of power and jerky almost like the brakes are being applied feeling in 4W Hi.

DR.Z

I see I put this in the wrong heading it is a TrailBlazer sorry.......
    No prob Dr Z. Patrick or Steve will see it and move it as necessary.
    Anyway are you trying to put in 4hi on dry pavement?

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

I think I'm going to assume it was maybe wet or something like that.
    My '04 does the same thing and I know exactly what your going thru.
    These are rather wimpy 4wd set up and don't take kindly to moving the damn wheel at all(in 4hi). I leave mine in auto 4wd if I'm in snow or something it seems to do a better job anyway. I miss the old days when you had a front axel and you could pull the lever back in 4hi. A nice clunk and it would come on with authourity. Hopefully I've answered your question cuz more than likely theres nothing wrong wih your truck.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Legend

Even if you're in a mild coating of snow, you're still going to feel a slight shudder in the truck as you make your turn in 4hi. I'd say it's normal. The severity of the jerking/shuddering will depend on vehicle speed, and how clean the road is.

A good rule of thumb is that 4wd should really only be used after you find that 2wd is not getting the job done.
    I'm not saying that you are, but a lot of people tend to over-use their 4wd. As soon as the first flake of snow falls, their 4wd comes on. It's like a nervous response.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

But remember when you go off road the rule is use 4wd early and use it often. Nothing worse than being stuck and not being able to engage your 4wd. I had an 93 Bronco that I got stuck in a ditch and the 4wd would only engage if you let it roll. Well by then I was too late and had to wait for someone to come and pull me out. Once I had the 4wd engaged, I just motored on through the ditch.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Most likely, what you are feeling is normal. In 4H (and 4L for that matter), the transfer case locks the front and rear drivehsafts together. When you turn, the front wheels travel a longer arc, so they want to spin faster. But, because the front and rear are locked at the t-case, they can't spin faster than the rear. So the hopping/skipping/binding you feel is the result. This is why 4H/4L should only be used when conditions are bad enough to allow the wheels to slip to account for the lack of differentiation. Best case scenario, the wheels hop and skip and it's just uncomfortable. It's not unheard of to break things under those conditions, though.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Thanks guys.
    I think MrShorty hit it, binding was the best explination of what happens, and it seems normal from your comments.

I just wish salesman would worry less about writting there names on the chalkboard, and high fivin' there buddies and spend more time explaining the functions of the new truck once you signed the papers.

Great forum, thanks

DR.Z

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DR.Z View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I think MrShorty hit it, binding was the best explination of what happens, and it seems normal from your comments.

I just wish salesman would worry less about writting there names on the chalkboard, and high fivin' there buddies and spend more time explaining the functions of the new truck once you signed the papers.

Great forum, thanks

DR.Z
    Sad thing is that they really only know about the selling points. They generally don't have that much knowledge of the vehicles from an operational standpoint outside of it's specs. (tow, payload, safety...)
    I'm not saying all salesmen, but most.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

it sounds liek somethining those push buttin transfer case setups would do.. sometimes it allways helps to back up acoupple feet just like youd do with the old systems untill you hear a clank or somehting like that...
    Padraic O'Neill
    1990 Chevy K-1500
    305 5.0L short bed 4x4
    new tune up..synthetic oil only..turbo 400 3 speed trans, 10 bolt rear end just flushed both axles and added royal purple full synthetic gear oil...

[QUOTE=DR.Z;23041]Well here I go again, I have maybe a problem and I'd like to ask you guy's if it is normal.

DR.Z

I see I put this in the wrong heading it is a TrailBlazer sorry.......[/QUOTE

not to be a late post but every 4wd thats not all time will jerk when turning on pavement its just the nature of the beast
    Corey M (CoDaChrome™)
    the vehicles I have/had
    1989 GMC 2500 4wd (Sold)
    1989 Palomino hard-side popup
    1990 GMC 2500 pickup 2wd
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Beater) (sold)
    1997 GMC jimmy sle 4wd (Sold)
    1999 Silverado Z71 offroad
    2000 Sunline 30' travel trailer
    2003 Silverado Z71 offroad
    2006 Yamaha wolverine 450 4wd