GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Torsen/TrueTrac vs PosiTrac in the rear diff

Yes Iím a noobie, and yes my second post is a question.

I did some searching and only found a few threads listing TrueTrac and PosiTrac as potential replacements for exploded G80s. If my question has been addressed somewhere please let me know.

Iíve got a 2004 Silverado 1500 4x4. The rear diff is open (no G80) and has a 10 bolt cover (8.6Ē I believe). Iím looking for better traction on snowy/icy roads and for occasional light off-roading and plan to install some sort of limited slip in the rear diff. I like TrueTracís claims of being low maintenance, basically install and forget. However I canít find any reports on how they actually work long term in the rear diff of a full sized pickup. Iíve found articles where people put TrueTrac in the front diff with a locker in the rear.

Iím wondering if anyone has experience with TrueTrac in the rear diff and any insight on how it would work compared to PosiTrac.

Thanks.
    2004 Silverado 1500 - 4x4 - Ext Cab - 6.5ft Box - Stock other than camper shell.

Soon to own an 2010 Equinox

Torsen was a popular unit added to camaros/firebirds...have a better rep than the gov bomb G80
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

Sr. Engineer

The only drawback to the truetrac over a normal limited slip or locker is that the truetrac needs a little bit of traction on the slipping wheel in order to engage. If you're hung up on a snowbank, or on some off road trail with one wheel coming off the ground, it won't work. For normal street driving they do work and don't require any special maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by this end up View Post
    Yes Iím a noobie, and yes my second post is a question.

I did some searching and only found a few threads listing TrueTrac and PosiTrac as potential replacements for exploded G80s. If my question has been addressed somewhere please let me know.

Iíve got a 2004 Silverado 1500 4x4. The rear diff is open (no G80) and has a 10 bolt cover (8.6Ē I believe). Iím looking for better traction on snowy/icy roads and for occasional light off-roading and plan to install some sort of limited slip in the rear diff. I like TrueTracís claims of being low maintenance, basically install and forget. However I canít find any reports on how they actually work long term in the rear diff of a full sized pickup. Iíve found articles where people put TrueTrac in the front diff with a locker in the rear.

Iím wondering if anyone has experience with TrueTrac in the rear diff and any insight on how it would work compared to PosiTrac.

Thanks.

Maybe look into a selectable like an Eaton Elocker or ARB. One of the good things about a selectable is that you can engage and disengage the unit anytime you want extra traction. When these are locked they are a true locker, when unlocked you will have an open diff.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

The True-Trac has a great reputation, and is perfect for a truck driven in snow. I will be installing two in my plow truck. You sometimes have to cheat with the brakes to get it to engage but no big deal.

Way better than a Gov Bomb.

As for durability, I have a friend with a True-Trac in the rear of his 2500 with a souped up 496. It was his first choice for a diff.

An E-Locker or ARB is great, but expensive.
    Last edited by 2COR517; 04-17-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Cool torsen/truetrac vs positrac in the rear diff

I DESTROYED two torsens in less than four months in my Suburban.