GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I put one on my 97 Yukon & I noticed an improvement in mileage (1.5mpg) & pulling trailer uphill (would hold speed) but nothing in performance. I also put K&N air filter in at same time.
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

To be honest I recently put a Taylor Spacer on my 5.3L. Didnt notice much gain except maybe 2300-2600 RPM's. However I am not a fan of this fly by wire system but this did seem to give me better throttle response, and I like anything that helps spin the tires a bit more. Also may have bumped some MPG's up but thats probably just all in the head. All in all I think there are plenty of other things you could waste a hundred bucks on. This probably is more usable than any of those.

Jenna hit it pretty much head on.

Spacers have some atomization benefits with Carbs and TBI, and are a bit more noticeable on the SOTP meter. With TPI, they just change plenum size and effect throttle response and torque to a smaller degree.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

I bought one for my 96 5.7 and i noticed a small difference in throttle response and a slight gain in mpg but i dont think it was worth the $82 i paid
    Justin- Austin TX
    1996 Silverado Short Wide 5.7 Vortec- LT4 Cam, K&N, Hypertech Chip, 3.73 Gears, Cherrybomb True duals, bore .20, 3500Stall, Air Raid Spacer, Traction Bars(Blown Transmission) :frown:
    2007 Silverado Short Wide 5.3 Vortec (stock)

I have an Air Raid on a 5.3l motor, I did gain a little better throttle response, but thats about it. Also can hear the air being sucked into the intake better. Weather it gives me power or not I like the sound and its my truck ! Do what you want, but probably something not worth buying if you can put it towards something more worth your money (exhaust, CAI etc).

on 2007 or newer vehicles, nope... not worth it... doesn't do anything for ya...
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Jr. Apprentice

I've never seen these do any good on injected engines, and I have also seen them set throttle position sensor performance codes on newer drive by wire applications.

I had the Airaid TB spacer on my 94' chevy 5.7L and really liked the sound of the whistle. I was looking forward to getting it with my 09 5.3L and although the performance may not be noticeable, I like the sound it produces.

Hope the opinion helps...
    '09 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD Crew Cab Fully Loaded
    Blacked out bow ties on grill and tailgate
    Smoked tails and 3rd brake lights
    Black headlamps with 6k HID projectors, LED bar and CCFL Halos
    FOR SALE!!! see thread-> http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?68797-My-09-Silverado-14-000-Miles&highlight=silverado

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Jason, spacers work well on carbed engines, but the general consensus is that they don't work on FI engines.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Carbed engines, yes.

LS engines (4.8/5.3/6.0 so on) NOT NO BUT HELL NO.

Dont let ANYONE tell you they work. I used mine for a nitrous plate, drilled me a little hole in the side lol.

You want bang for the buck? Get a custom tune. Not no damn handheld, not no mail order tune, A CUSTOM tune.

Lots of mail order tunes just change your shift points and rev limiter, blah blah, so you feel a difference and are satisfied. You need a tuned locally who can keep tuning it. You need to get rid of rev limiter, change the shift points very agressively, pull a crap load of timing (after you run a few tanks of 93 octane though it) and so on. No torque management etc. The key is in the timing.

Next, if you dont already have it electric fans. This mod you WILL feel. Then Long Tube headers and a full exhaust. let her breathe. Then consider your ported and polished throttle body and your cold air intakes.....

AGAIN, anyone who says they felt a difference with their throttle body spacer on ther FI truck, is hallucinating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast