GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Running boards

Hybrid View

Question Running boards

Hello,
    When I got my '89 suburban it had most, if not all, options on it. The question is that it has a pair of fiberglass running boards that start at the front of the front wheel well and continue to the rear of the rear wheel well they also have an aluminium step from front door hinge to end of rear door. Each is a one piece unit approximately 24 inches shy of the length of the suburban.

I've looked at all the RPOs for that era that I could find and can't seem to find any information about them and the dealership that sold the rig originally has changed hands. I'd like to know if it was an exterior package for the Silverado option, a dealer installed aftermarket item or what.

I've taken them off, partly because the wheels look small ,width wise and out of place (15x10 235/75 R15) and when last painted the shop didn't remove them and the paint is coming off around the wells. Even though they are in what I feel to be remarkable shape; I want to refurbish and build new supports for them.
    I'd like to find a visually correct, functional wheel and tire combination to use with them but for now I'd appreciate any info regarding them.

1989 R1500 Silverado Suburban
    5.7L, TBI w/ Dual remote oil filters,
    16" 2010 CFM E-fan, K&N filter
    TH700R w/ Aluminum pan, remote trans fluid filter and aux trans fluid cooler
    Air shocks rear,
    7x16 dual axle cargo trailer; 10K Reese HD trunnion bar WDS, dual friction sway dampeners
    Cuz....I like to move it, move it....
    Semper Fi!

Blog Entries

I have an 84 3/4 ton 'burban with the same running boards. Where your suppourts made of 1'' angle iron? Well, 1'' wide if it was flattened. With black rubber tread strips running the length of the running board? And lucky for me, one of the previous owner put larger tires on with chrome steel flat spoke rims, and lowered it about 3 or 4 inches front and back so the wheel wells are full. But if I find any info in my paperwork I'll let you know.
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT 4.3
    1984 C20 'burban 454
    1963 C10 283
    One lead foot
    Two hands that turn a steering wheel very quickly and very well.

Those aren't a factory item. A lot of dealerships will add little things like that to make the truck more appealing to the short. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
    Those aren't a factory item. A lot of dealerships will add little things like that to make the truck more appealing to the short. :D
    You are so wrong,, but funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
    Chris,
    I appreciate your comment but have you any idea where the source for them was in that time period.
    Ted

Impossible to say. Most places just got that stuff from whatever local parts house they could get the best deal from.

Blog Entries

I'm not short. I'm actually a lil vertically enlightened. I'm 6'1'' in my combat boots. And my truck is lowered. I don't even need the steps but it looks really good with them on.

LoneWolf'burban,
    Thanks for the assistance. Mine have step plate to protect the fiberglass and skateboard non slip material centered the length of the plate. The 2 mounts per side were 1.5 inch pipe strap, very flimsy but held for all this time. I'm in the process of fabricating new mounts using the frame and body, plus adding an extra per side. I found these to fill-up the wells: Black Rock Series 909 Type D Alloy Wheels 15x10 w/4" backspacing. not going to lower it because I pull a trailer sometimes. Will post pics in a couple of days.
    Ted
    Last edited by BluBurb89; 04-21-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: left out original answer