GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Your would need to get a 1996 up 454 Vortec, and get an intake manifold for your truck since you are running a carb, and of course a bigger carb (depending on usage id say absolutely no smaller than a 750cfm 4 bbl. What makes a Vortec is the heads, and the intake is a bit different otherwise a lot of the bottom end is the same as any other GM SB, BB... But for cost I would just aim for something in the 1970s to 1995. They are cheaper and parts are usually cheaper.. but you will still want that 750plus CFM carb on it no matter what. Running a non Vortec 454 you wont really notice a huge difference till you start to do a ton of mods then you will notice the difference in flow from the stock heads.. But here in lies what you want to do.. A good reliable stock 454 is going to do just about anything that anyone can throw at it. And the nice thing is going that route you can actaully stop at any parts store in the world and get 454 stock parts as compared to specialty parts.
    just my 2bits.

Oh and if you can score a 1990-1995 out of a 1 ton that is complete intake to oil pan along with the asseccories then you will be able to switch to a single belt system in your truck. Eliminating the multiple V-belts that your truck currently employs...
    Last edited by murdog94; 04-23-2010 at 08:41 AM.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Let me be a dissenter .If you drive lots of miles-say 15,000/yr-the 454 might drink 1500 gallons per year vs 1000 gallons for a 350- 500 difference gallons might be $2000 per year more for fuel at $4/gal.

If you drive just 3000 miles per year-454 it is.

Gas is going up,so it just depends on how much you drive.

Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by dannys99 View Post
    Nothing beats cubic inches, rebuild the big block, the torque is amazing and its alot funner to tell people you are running a 454 rather than a dime a dozen 350. nothing wrong with the 350 but why downgrade?

i definatly agree, there is no replacement for displacement

Blog Entries

Plain Jane carbed 454 it will be. I drive a lot. A Lot... A...LOT. Just because it is y favorite hobby. Bikers have bikes and the open road. I have a big truck with miles and miles of gravel roads with hills and curves. I've driven my brother's S-10 with an I4 and it's pathetic compaired to my 'burban. As you said "There's no replacement for displacement," there's nothing like how a big, heavy vehical rides and handles. So long as we're not talking box vans and semis and such. I need a Caddy now.
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT 4.3
    1984 C20 'burban 454
    1963 C10 283
    One lead foot
    Two hands that turn a steering wheel very quickly and very well.

Jr. Apprentice

I recently purchased a 1998 gmc 2500 4x4 with a big block 454. the best part about it..72,000 original miles. what are some cheap mods i can do for better mileage/power because i know how 1998 was a terrible year for emision standards "holding" the engine back. now being the hick that i am i will straight pipe it soon so what else would be wise to do to it?..
    Last edited by GMTruckManiac; 08-07-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Either Y or cross over pipe it to even the pressure between the pipes if you run duals. And don't butcher the sweet song of the Chevy V-8 with flowmasters. Notice I didn't capitalize the brand due to lack of respect. Glass packs and headers sound the best but may cause irritation in some people's ears. Especially BMW, Mercedies, Volvo etc. drivers who look down on us for our chosen hobbies and careers and may call the police with noise complaints. Magna Flow would be a good conventional shaped muffler if you want a low tone that sounds good. Everybdody that tries to guess my motor size in my Sonoma GT says I have a V-8 conversion kit in it. I'll tell you now I will not replace the stock 4.3 V-6 Vortec because it's numbers matching in a one year truck. New carb. Get a brand new 750 CFM Q-Jet. Then put the work into tuning it to your truck. It is a small two barrel and a massive four barrel combined into one. Keep your toe out of it and it will save you some gas. Dig into it and it will give you lots of power. Dump the stock air cleaner. Don't spend bookoo bucks on a K&N Cold Air Intake system just for the name. Look for one with a smoothly bent intake pipe with a sturdy box and oiled gauze filter. Air hates to bend around corners and hates rough paths. You're running an OBDII computer in your Burban so find somebody with a tuner, not just a code reader and play with the air and fuel maps a bit. You'll be able to get better power and milage by tweaking the computer a bit. You may not get one with the other but there are tuners on the market that let you switch between the both of them at the flip of a switch.
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT 4.3
    1984 C20 'burban 454
    1963 C10 283
    One lead foot
    Two hands that turn a steering wheel very quickly and very well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12