GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Service Engine Light

I have a 2003 TrailBlazer, recently purchased it used, no Car Fax purchased before buying the Chevrolet. Has been running fine, a clicking noise every now and then from under the hood. Service Engine light came on when turning a corner this afternoon. Fluids look ok and are full, had to add a little bit of coolant. Belts are ok. Anything else I can check or I should do before taking it in for service? I had a MPV a few years ago that did this right under 80K miles (which the TB is at now -- about 78K miles) and all that was going on w/ it is that it needed the exhaust system serviced. Wondering if this happens w/ the Trail Blazers as well. Thanks for any tips, advice, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pennyhm View Post
    I have a 2003 TrailBlazer, recently purchased it used, no Car Fax purchased before buying the Chevrolet. Has been running fine, a clicking noise every now and then from under the hood. Service Engine light came on when turning a corner this afternoon. Fluids look ok and are full, had to add a little bit of coolant. Belts are ok. Anything else I can check or I should do before taking it in for service? I had a MPV a few years ago that did this right under 80K miles (which the TB is at now -- about 78K miles) and all that was going on w/ it is that it needed the exhaust system serviced. Wondering if this happens w/ the Trail Blazers as well. Thanks for any tips, advice, etc.
    Welcome aboard pennyhm, The clicking noise could be 100 things. As for sevice engine soon light you'll need to identify code for sure. Depending on that exhaust leak (how big) it could be back pressure issue. My 03 was missing 3 PCM updates on software and O2 sensor was gone, but engine light was not on go figure. It would barely run at one point.
    See what dealer says and go from there. Good luck

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Thanks cableguy. A question .. how do you get PCM updates? From the dealership? thanks!

You can go to many local parts stores ie; AutoZone and they can read the codes. With the code info we might have more info for you.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by pennyhm View Post
    Thanks cableguy. A question .. how do you get PCM updates? From the dealership? thanks!
    To my knowledge you can only do baseline software updates at dealership.
    Mine ran smooth as glass after update. I don't think I paid anything.