GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default starter motor problem with 1998 s10

I cannot figure out what is wrong with my truck but it seems that it goes through alot of starter motors since i have gotten the truck a year ago. It is my first truck and i don't understand why it is burning through so many starter motors. One person said that it could be something to do with my flywheel or maybe that the starter motor does not mesh up with the flywheel properly. If it help i have the 2.2L 4 cylinder. The truck has gone through 4 starter motors since i have bought the truck. It would be great if anyone can help me out or inform me how to go about fixing what is wrong.

Incorrect adjustment of the starter motor could be the problem.
    Pull the starter and check the teeth on the flywheel and the starter to make sure they arent showing excessive wear.
    New starters usually come with shims to space the starter correctly. Also look to see if the starter bolts are correctly tourqed.

Can i pick up a set of shims for the starter motor and would it matter the brand of starter motor? And my other question is how do i check the flywheel with out having to take the flywheel out and inspecting it cause you can only see the flywheel where it stopped when you turned the truck off.

Quote Originally Posted by s101998dan View Post
    Can i pick up a set of shims for the starter motor and would it matter the brand of starter motor? And my other question is how do i check the flywheel with out having to take the flywheel out and inspecting it cause you can only see the flywheel where it stopped when you turned the truck off.
    Can't you remove the inspection cover, it will let you see 1/3rd of the flywheel and let you shine a light to see most of it...

The engine always stops on a compression stroke so the starter is always hitting the same general 6 or 8 places...I had to replace the starter ring on a 78 Datsun flywheel and most fo the wear was at two opposing locations so it stopped, most of the time, at two of four possible spots...

You can buy chevy starter shims at most auto parts shops...
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

Yep as per the previous post you can remove the insp cover, then hit the starter for a sec or two to rotate the flywheel and inspect more of it.