GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default brake job on 01 silvy

v6 auto 4x4 long bed
    I have never done a break job but feel capable.My PU needs one. What kit can I get aftermarket that will fit good without any un needed bling, but I want good solid performance and will pay extra for a good kit...
    prices??
    Dont know if I need new rotors but will consider....this PU has 142K.

by the way will my little Porter Cable pancake compressor handle
    auto tools...??? its the 2.6 cf at 90 psi 6 gallon

Ok.

Your compressor wont be able to sustain pneumatic tools except for short bursts with breaks between bursts.

For the brakes, I don't know of any "kits" for doing brake jobs. You will definitely need new pads for up front. Either new pads or shoes for the rear, depending on if you have disks or drums out back. For your rotors, you should have the turned at any machine shop. They will let you know if you need new ones or not, it depends on if they are warped and/or how much they would have to shave off and how much metal would be remaining. You will need a C-clamp or a "C" shaped set of vise grips to push the piston(s) back into the calipers. Other than that, you will need just basic tools such as wrenches, ratchets, sockets, pry bar and possibly a star bit.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Jr. Mechanic

Your compressor will not be able to handle any sustained power tool use.

But, on a good note, you wont need any power tools for this job. For brakes hand tools work perfectly.

I can't think of any kits for brakes. But in order to tackle the front you will need to buy new pads. The rotors may be serviceable and can be turned down. Places like NAPA do this on the cheap usually. I have no idea if you need calipers, but that may also be a necessity. Also ***Change the Brake Fluid*** I don't know if its new or not but new fluid would be the way to go if you want to ensure performance and safety.

Good luck!

I watched some videos on utube... is there a video that shows what you mean by the c clamp use..?? I didnt see anything on that...

Jr. Mechanic

Correct me if I'm wrong here. But I believe he means to use the c-clamps to open up the pads to get the calipers off. Of course if you were going to change the fluids then you wont have to worry since there will be no pressure on the pads.

No, I mean C-Clamps to push the piston back down since most people don't change their fluid when doing brakes. Most people don't want to risk not bleeding them correctly so they don't even try.

If your going to change the brake fluid make sure you know how to bleed the brakes. This is typically a two person job and has to be done or you wont be able to stop very well afterwards. The C clamp is used on the caliper to push the piston back in so the new pads will fit in the caliper and around the rotor. If you just use the C clamp then you wont have to worry about bleeding the brakes.

1987 Chevy Suburban
    5.7 350 with Edelbrock Cam and Intake
    32x11.5x15 tires
    True Dual Series 40 Flowmaster exhaust
    Long Tube Headers