GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Subdually help

Jr. Apprentice

Default Subdually help

I just scored a pair of 87 dually fenders and want to put em on my 89 burb. Has anyone out there done this? How much glass work can i expect to attempt? It appears as though i am gunna need to shorten them a lil and re-position the gas filler door... Any help would be greatly appreciated..ps im lookin for a set of dually wheels for her...

Legend
    Blog Entries

I don't know if a member has done this or not! I think it will look sharp to do something like that! I hope you can get some great feedback on this! Good luck, and keep us posted on how things go!
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)

Quote Originally Posted by MLITCH View Post
    I just scored a pair of 87 dually fenders and want to put em on my 89 burb. Has anyone out there done this? How much glass work can i expect to attempt? It appears as though i am gunna need to shorten them a lil and re-position the gas filler door... Any help would be greatly appreciated..ps im lookin for a set of dually wheels for her...
    Hey!
    I had the same idea but after talking to a few of the old heads on this site I put it on the back burner for a while. At the time my main deal breaker was that I wanted to keep the 1/2 ton 15" 5x5 axle and i couldn't find wheels or spacers to accommodate the application at the time. What axle do you have? Since then, last year, I've found a way to give me the quasi-dually look without all headaches.
    Ted

1989 R1500 Silverado Suburban
    5.7L, TBI w/ Dual remote oil filters,
    16" 2010 CFM E-fan, K&N filter
    TH700R w/ Aluminum pan, remote trans fluid filter and aux trans fluid cooler
    Air shocks rear,
    7x16 dual axle cargo trailer; 10K Reese HD trunnion bar WDS, dual friction sway dampeners
    Cuz....I like to move it, move it....
    Semper Fi!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

A friend of mine in NJ had one. There was a Co in Cali called Pacific Auto Acc's that made them for the Sub's.. Not sure if they are still around. They also made a step called the Smart step system for SUV's..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

A few of us have discussed this in the past, but to my knowledge only one has actually done it on this board. If anyone else has they haven't really mentioned it.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6796

I think we can all agree that we'd love to see pics of before, after and possibly some as the project progresses. Keep us posted
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have seen suburbans with this completed. Not the process it took to do it. I know that they were running 8lug rims. Good luck with the project that would make the ultimate tow rig.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend

If you're just looking to do a dually then you only need the spacers.

http://www.arrowcraft.com

If you're looking to go to a 1 ton suspension you're going to need the proper axle and leafs.
    Last edited by TrailLeadr; 04-22-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Default big project

just the work involved moving the fuel door can be a nightmare. U might just look into getting a fuel cell and starting over. In my burb the relocation of the tank has kept me from using my original filler neck and door. But that is cause i had to tuck it up just a bit

Good luck hope to see some pics of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71 burb.jpg  
    1971 Chevrolet Suburban 2wd
    350 V8
    headman headers
    Strait pipes running out the back tucked and turned down
    Air ride suspension 6+ inches of travel
    22" Boss wheels
    edelbrock carb
    Ididit tilt Chrome column
    edelbrock intake manifold
    Leather captain chairs and rear bench from a newer ford truck
    Paint: Hot rod black with Viper silver with a satin clear coat and red stripe

-_--_--_ ________
    _--_-_ -/____|__|__\___
    ,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O__]

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrailLeadr View Post
    If you're just looking to do a dually then you only need the spacers.

If you're looking to go to a 1 ton suspension you're going to need the proper axle and leafs.
    For clarity If i want to go dually mostly for looks and a bit more trailer control. Can i still keep my stock 6lug rims??
    Im asking because i found a SCREAMING deal on a mint condition dually box. ($150 and even the same color)
    Anyhow... I wanna see pics of your build.. I still think that if i didnt need the bed of my pickup I would be all over a Suburban and do something similar.

Jr. Apprentice

I talked to a couple of guys today, none of which have actually done it....but they said I could simply cut whatever the overhang is out of the middle of the ffenders and re-glass them back together. As for the filler...based on the fact I am plannin on raising her I think I could just re-reoute the filler tube to the rear of the tire(inside of the wheel well). I will keep y'all informed. Hopefully, time permitting I will get this goin this weekend. I already bought the fenders...and am lookin at a set of used wheels tomorrow.
    1989 2500 Suburban