GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whats a good programmer thats affordable

whats a good chip for an 09 gasser 1500 with a 5.3 thats not gonna cost a fortune. Let me know what you have and if you know of any good sites where i can find them at.

Find a used one, so much cheaper, and there's absolutely no difference from a used unit to a new unit. Except the price, just make sure its not vin locked to the previous vehicle.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

everyone wants a tuning device lately huh...

Tuners are definitely the best bang for your buck! I have a Diablo and like it a whole lot. I found mine on ebay used and got it for $180.
    MY LUG NUTS REQUIRE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR RICER MAKES! :sign0011:

2004 Silverado 2500 "Judas"
    Crew Cab and Short Bed
    6.0L Vortec
    Diablo Predator
    True Dual Exhaust: Hooker MaxFlow Mufflers and X-Pipe
    Drop-In K&N Air Filter
    Alpine Stereo System: iDA-x303 Deck, SPS-600 Front and Rear Speakers, KTP-445 Amplifier

Future Upgrades Include:
    Cosmetic/Other: Spray-In Bed Liner, HID head lights, Leveling Kit
    Performance: Underdrive Pulleys

how can you tell if its vin locked and what can you do if it is?
    Good info on your Chevy youre in the right place.
    Good info on Guns check out http://www.ar15chatterbox.com/index.php

If it's vin locked, when you connect it to your truck, it will say something about not being compatible with your vehicle. What you can do to fix it? Wellll...some people have had luck with calling Diablo, telling them the problem, and then Diablo has them either take their handheld somewhere or have them send it in and they reset it. But, Diablo also doesn't like when people do this because they know that they are normally loosing money since that means that you didn't buy a new product from them. So it all kinda depends on the representative you talk to I guess.

Crew Cab and Short Bed
    6.0L Vortec
    Diablo Predator
    Drop-In K&N Air Filter
    Alpine Stereo System: iDA-x303 Deck, SPS-600 Front and Rear Speakers, KTP-445 Amplifier

Future Upgrades Include:

Quote Originally Posted by c_m_chance View Post
    If it's vin locked, when you connect it to your truck, it will say something about not being compatible with your vehicle. What you can do to fix it? Wellll...some people have had luck with calling Diablo, telling them the problem, and then Diablo has them either take their handheld somewhere or have them send it in and they reset it. But, Diablo also doesn't like when people do this because they know that they are normally loosing money since that means that you didn't buy a new product from them. So it all kinda depends on the representative you talk to I guess.
    actually, diablo's not losing money... because they charge you $130 to unlock it since you bought it used... so, add that to the cost of the used tool ya buy, and then how good is that deal you really got on that used, locked tool?? could have just bought a brand new one, with full warranty, for practically the same money...

and, if it says it's not compatible with your vehicle, it could be that it just needs a revision update to support your vehicle - the calibration ID in your ecm may not be supported in the revision version that's on the tool... so, you download the update free from diablo's site, install it to the tool... and bingo, done.

if it's locked to another vehicle, it will tell you that it's not "licensed" for use on your vehicle... another way to check is, power up the predator, and go to Options > Show Last Tune Written... that should show "original backup" if the person restored their original backup stock tune to their vehicle and unlocked the predator... if it says anything else besides "original backup" - then they did not do that and it is still locked to their vehicle.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    actually, diablo's not losing money... because they charge you $130 to unlock it since you bought it used
    Ah! I was not aware they charged for it. A guy told me once that he just went to a diablo rep here in Houston once and they reset his free of charge. Other times I had just heard they wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    and, if it says it's not compatible with your vehicle, it could be that it just needs a revision update to support your vehicle
    Do they release updates often for the programers? I've searched around on their site a few times to see if I could find an update, thinking that there has probably definitely been one since my truck is a 2004, but I haven't ever been able to find any.

Crew Cab and Short Bed
    6.0L Vortec
    Diablo Predator
    Drop-In K&N Air Filter

Future Upgrades Include:

the more i read the black bear is the way to go
    Good info on your Chevy youre in the right place.
    Good info on Guns check out http://www.ar15chatterbox.com/index.php

Ya, from everything I've heard, you definitely get better results when you get custom tunes specifically for your truck. But I think half the fun is being able to play with the parameters yourself and figure out what gives you the best results yourself.

Crew Cab and Short Bed
    6.0L Vortec
    Diablo Predator
    Drop-In K&N Air Filter

Future Upgrades Include:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast