GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by kwalls22 View Post
    whats a good chip for an 09 gasser 1500 with a 5.3 thats not gonna cost a fortune. Let me know what you have and if you know of any good sites where i can find them at.
    SuperChips (2865) worked great for me. I have a 2009 Silverado with a 5.3. If your truck has active fuel management you will want to disable this if you put a peformance cat-back on.Anyway the Super Chips Tuner worked for me. www.autoanything.com is where I got mine..

What do the customer tune files usually cost to have done? If I purchase a handheld, log all the data, and what a customized tune file?

Honestly, I like the idea of not having to remove my ECM. I'd hate to have two of them, one with a custom tune from someone and a stocker. I'd like to be able to change on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by toothpick View Post
    What do the customer tune files usually cost to have done? If I purchase a handheld, log all the data, and what a customized tune file?

Honestly, I like the idea of not having to remove my ECM. I'd hate to have two of them, one with a custom tune from someone and a stocker. I'd like to be able to change on the fly.
    Hey toothpick...

Yeah, definitely better not to have to remove the ECM... GM can tell when modules are swapped... because the mileage (along with other items) that is stored in the ECM, will not match your odometer, so that sends up a flag immediately...

You won't have that issue using a Predator or Trinity... I would go with one of those - the tunes are very good out of the box... and you can get a custom tune created specifically for your truck to get even more/better performance, such as quicker throttle response, acceleration, stronger/harder pull, better mileage, etc....
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Quote Originally Posted by toothpick View Post

Why would you need two of them?

Quote Originally Posted by ZSI52 View Post
    Why would you need two of them?
    because, the other option he was talking about is, to buy another set of computer modules... have one set tuned, and leave the other set stock... so, he'd have 2 sets of modules he would need to swap back and forth...

So if when my truck goes into the dealership, I don't get crap for having another ECM on my truck when they run scans. And the old "well don't take it to the dealership then" line ain't gonna cut it either, I take it there for some things and don't for others. Given that fact, I need a easy and nearly untraceable way to switch between a tuned truck and a stock truck. I've looked at removal and I just am not too crazy about it. Honestly enough, I'm not really crazy about flashing firmware over and over again either as I do have 18+ years of development experience, but I'm more up to that than pulling out the tools to change the ECM every few months when it gets it's included service (Travel is nearly 1100 miles a week).

Hey I could be wrong about many of my reasons. I'd invite any corrections to my assumptions because I want to know exactly what I'm getting and what to expect when I do decide hear in the near future to purchase either solution or another viable solution.

picked up a predator off ebay brand new for 225 shipped.
    Good info on your Chevy youre in the right place.
    Good info on Guns check out http://www.ar15chatterbox.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Indy View Post
    picked up a predator off ebay brand new for 225 shipped.
    NICE!! Congrats man!!

now, first thing to do is find out what revision it's on... power it up, and when it gets to the main menu, there's a number at the top of the screen... that's the revision number... what is it?? if it's "brand new", it should be on a 9rXX revision number already...

also, did you buy the power adapter and usb/serial cable kit for it?? you'll need that in order to connect the predator to your PC in order to update it if needed, to download saved/recorded data logs, and to import/export tune files when you're ready for a custom tune for your truck...

got the whole caboodle with it and i did the update as soon as i got her. you are actually answering some questions of mine from the same screen name on the diablo forum and now im gonna figure when i can log some WOT runs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123