GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My Bilsteins Have lasted 202,000 miles and likely your truck also has factory Bilsteins. They are built to last, ride smooth, and are proven to be the best shocks for these trucks.

UPDATED

Realized I should mention that After 202,000 miles the truck still rides smooth on the road and on rough terrain you can barely notice the bumps. Only problem I have with the shocks is after 202,000 miles the truck is boatish because the shocks are soft and my rear has sagged a bit, yet the shocks wern't built to last that long so not the fault of Bilstein. I plan to install new Bilsteins in May because my factory ones make me trust the new ones will last just s long and ride just as well.
    Last edited by Conlan Rose; 10-18-2013 at 06:40 PM.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Most any aftermarket shocks will be an improvement over stock. I like Fox and ReadyLIFT... a little pricey but awesome shocks.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Just put bilsteins on my 2005 yukon xl. They are awesome!! Best shock i have ever had on a vehicle.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Ranchos all the way.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

i have a 03 silverado z71 and just put on bilstein 5100s on all four corners and LOVE THEM!

I just bought the MONROE REFLEX. Seem fine to me, on a 4x4 the suspension is stiff anyway... These are fine unless you rock crawling or building a PRERUNNER... THAT IS ON STOCK SUSPENSIONS anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dodson View Post
    I just bought the MONROE REFLEX. Seem fine to me, on a 4x4 the suspension is stiff anyway... These are fine unless you rock crawling or building a PRERUNNER... THAT IS ON STOCK SUSPENSIONS anyway
    I had a set of monroe reflex on my 2005 yukon xl 4x4 with stock suspension for less than a year. I took them off to put the bilsteins on and they were shot. Very slow return and "skipping" as you pushed them in. You could hear oil passing the piston. The parts store warrantied them for me and I am going to sell them on cl. I had originally put the reflex mono tubes on. They stayed on for a day. They rode like complete crap! Then I went with the regular reflex. I thought that they were great, until I rode on my bilsteins. The monroe were ok for a month of so, then the body roll on my truck became pretty severe. I will never install a monroe product on my vehicle again. The manager at the parts store said that they see them exchanged under warranty more than any other shock they sell.
    Last edited by Pikey; 10-25-2013 at 10:23 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    My Bilsteins Have lasted 202,000 miles and likely your truck also has factory Bilsteins. They are built to last, ride smooth, and are proven to be the best shocks for these trucks.

UPDATED

Realized I should mention that After 202,000 miles the truck still rides smooth on the road and on rough terrain you can barely notice the bumps. Only problem I have with the shocks is after 202,000 miles the truck is boatish because the shocks are soft and my rear has sagged a bit, yet the shocks wern't built to last that long so not the fault of Bilstein. I plan to install new Bilsteins in May because my factory ones make me trust the new ones will last just s long and ride just as well.
    if the rear is sagged best replace the rear springs before replacing the shocks. with the vehicle not properly leveled out the U joints get damaged ..

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    if the rear is sagged best replace the rear springs before replacing the shocks. with the vehicle not properly leveled out the U joints get damaged ..
    I will be fixing the sagging problem at the same time I'm doing the shocks. Luckily the rear has only sagged to the point that the truck sits level, which is about 2 inches. I will be using Roadmaster Active Suspension to help the springs remain arched in the factory shape instead of almost flat like they are now. I have kept a constant eye on the u-joints and they have remained in great shape for being factory components.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Rancho's are notoriously stiff.

Bilstien's are notoriously expensive.

I always liked ProComps or TrailMasters on my Jeeps.

Been running Monroe Gas Magnums in my F150 for some time and like them.

Stiff enough, yet responsive and not bouncy.

Prolly what I'll be putting in the Burb.

-cmc-
    Some stuff with wheels and motors...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast