GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on Dunlop Rover M-T Tires

I need help I'm trying to find a aggressive looking tire at the same time not toooo costly these Rover M-T's I had found were $199.00 for 285/70/17 (32.8") tire and I had read alot of reviews about them and alot of people liked them. Just seeing if there is anymore opinions or recommendations. Thanks!

2005 Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4
    285/70/17 Firestone Destination MT's
    17" Pro Comp Extreme Wheels
    2" ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    Blacked Out Grill and Front and Rear Bumpers (Painted By Me)
    PreRunner Light Bar (Removed) New Fabricated Bumper (coming soon)
    WeatherGuard Tool Box (Painted Also)

Jr. Apprentice

I have read a couple of reviews about them. Everything is hear is good, long lasting and the tread pattern looks pretty good. I might be putting them on for my next set
    Never thought 35's would fit w/ only a leveling kit. Haha

I have not had good luck with dunlop tires they have wore out fast and they just seemed to be like b-c grade tires.

A while back I got some pathfinders and they have been suprisingly good tires!
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24096
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Legend

I love mine, much better then the crappy BFG ATs that I had just bought for it.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I had a guy change his out after just shy of 30k. He said they just wore out way too fast. But I've never had tho, so I can't confirm it.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

I've got a set of the old style for my Explorer. I've liked mine. This new style doesn't look as open as the old style without the shoulder lugs cut away like the old style. I wonder if they will clean as well and otherwise have as good of traction?

Mine may be wearing faster than I'd like, but it's hard for me to say. I didn't expect an MT to have a long life, so I got a cheap set of wheels for a second set and run another set of tires most of the time -- swapping on the MT's when it's time to go "play"

In order to get a better set of opinions, what are looking to get out of an MT tire? A lot of the comments so far have focused on longevity. Is longevity important? In other places it gets said that, if longevity is most important, then an MT tire is probably not what you want. In general an AT or HT tire will last longer than an MT. What about traction and off-road performance (that's usually what I think of when discussing an MT tire)? Are you expecting to sacrifice some longevity for off-road traction?
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    I've got a set of the old style for my Explorer. I've liked mine. This new style doesn't look as open as the old style without the shoulder lugs cut away like the old style. I wonder if they will clean as well and otherwise have as good of traction?

Mine may be wearing faster than I'd like, but it's hard for me to say. I didn't expect an MT to have a long life, so I got a cheap set of wheels for a second set and run another set of tires most of the time -- swapping on the MT's when it's time to go "play"

In order to get a better set of opinions, what are looking to get out of an MT tire? A lot of the comments so far have focused on longevity. Is longevity important? In other places it gets said that, if longevity is most important, then an MT tire is probably not what you want. In general an AT or HT tire will last longer than an MT. What about traction and off-road performance (that's usually what I think of when discussing an MT tire)? Are you expecting to sacrifice some longevity for off-road traction?
    That is a very good point!

Now when I say this I'm not directing this towards the threads author but I see many younger folks around here getting tires based solely off how they look. If you drive 90% on paved roads a good highway all season will be fine.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Zero View Post
    That is a very good point!

Now when I say this I'm not directing this towards the threads author but I see many younger folks around here getting tires based solely off how they look. If you drive 90% on paved roads a good highway all season will be fine.
    See thats what I'm going by I'm buying a second set of wheels and tires that are M-T's to play around in, and my stock set will be solely for my highway driving to work. Because my tires now have like 90% tread life since I bought the truck and I dont feel like messing with how the truck rides down the highway by putting M-T's on it. But I do understand by what you mean young adults or young ones such as myself are going for the whole aggressive look, and not stopping to realize the ride comfort or handling of an A/T tire. Thanks every opinion matters to me. But if your looking for an aggressive A/T tire BFGoodrich has the A/T's that are pretty nice and do handle smoothly down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post

What I'm trying to find out of an M-T tire is basically some what of a decent tread life, decent tread depth / pattern. What I can easily tell you is im do not need super swampers, I'm basically doing simple trail driving and field driving with little to no mud and the Rovers were decently priced at $199.00. Thanks guys!

If your just doing light offroading then the Dunlops should be fine. They're a decent tire for the price. Just make sure to get road hazard if available at a reasonable price.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast