GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Jr. Engineer

Dana, you have an engineering anomaly, a freak of nature!!! I'v put well over 100k on a couple of 4.3 vortexs myself! So I think your missing something when your doing your engine work Gerald ! I know there's a couple of tiny O-rings in there somewhere that if you skip them or use the old ones, you'll get problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Why did you wake up a three and one half year old thread for this, with your first post ever, on Christmas day?

Then i guess my '99 Suburban @ 217,000 miles on the Vortec 350 engine with NO permanent parts or gaskets ever replaced is some kind of freak of nature?
    Suburban is not same as truck if you care to look. I am very glad you have had no problem. Many trucks are having these problems.

Ha, Kinda funny how old this was but I read it anyway... Ive heard of the 4.3 liter having common intake gasket issues but thats all I have heard of.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by geraldc View Post
    Suburban is not same as truck if you care to look. I am very glad you have had no problem. Many trucks are having these problems.
    You know, now that you mention it, my suburban does look a lot different than a Silverado. Funny, I never noticed that before. The whole back end is closed in.

Be that as it may, you were talking about the 350 Vortec which is identical in both vehicles, given the same year.

Maybe you should replace your motor with THIS MOTOR. It will suit your purposes much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    You know, now that you mention it, my suburban does look a lot different than a Silverado. Funny, I never noticed that before. The whole back end is closed in.

Be that as it may, you were talking about the 350 Vortec which is identical in both vehicles, given the same year.

Maybe you should replace your motor with THIS MOTOR. It will suit your purposes much better.
    I agree with Dana here. My 96 Tahoe with the first year of 350 Vortec in is has 204,780+ miles on it and is still running strong as can be. Have I replaced a few gaskets along the way? Yes but that's regular maintenance on a 200,000+ mile truck. These motors are built to last if you take care of them and just follow the service schedule. I don't even baby my truck I drive it hard very often.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    I agree with Dana here. My 96 Tahoe with the first year of 350 Vortec in is has 204,780+ miles on it and is still running strong as can be. Have I replaced a few gaskets along the way? Yes but that's regular maintenance on a 200,000+ mile truck. These motors are built to last if you take care of them and just follow the service schedule. I don't even baby my truck I drive it hard very often.
    Yup, mine hauled a 3,000 lb. custom made pig roaster all over the country for five or six years, cookin' up some pulled pork for folks from Jacksonville to Calgary. The engine is still runnin' like a electric sewing machine with only minor repairs and tune ups, here and there. The previous owner did the pig roasts, not me. No calls please.

I am figuring anybody who had any 350 blow up prior to 200,000 m. probably beat the crap out of the thing.(unless it was in a Camaro or Corvette)
    Last edited by Dana W; 12-26-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

1996 to 04 GM vortec are crap engines ! ! ! I have driven GM trucks for 34 years. This 1997 chev Silverado 2 wd 350 vortec engine is 2nd engine in this truck with 15,000 miles on it now. Losing water, lost of rear lights (all of them) and now lost of oil pressure gauge reading, at times. Start with engine after ER run to hospital engine cracked block and both heads. Had been having water loss for long time. New engine has same kind of water lost problem, have applied new Fel-Pro intake gaskets 2 times now, still losing water. How can GM design this crap, an intake with 4 bolts at each end within about 4" of each end of intake with no bolts in middle at all and change bolt direction to vertical the best way to have bolts loosen up. With EGR going into middle of head temperature somewhere around 500* the intake gasket from GM will burn at 450*. Does GM not see a problem with gaskets burning out causing these water leaks ??? My job for 34 years was finding water leaks so I know what to look for, this engine has no outside water leak. This engine runs find. Now the oil pressure gauge, when brakes are applied oil pressure gauge hand falls to the bottom on right side of gauge, not zero side. The release brakes reading goes to 60 psi, where it has been reading. For lights, tail lights work now but brake lights do not, flashers, turn sign and running lights work. I put a brake light system on truck not using any thing to do with truck brake lights.
    Oil pressure gauge is latest problem, if anyone has found a fix for this Please send answer to gocway775@gmail.com Thank You
    That is unusual-my 1998 has 224,500 miles now-last 30,000 and 6.5 years are mine.
    I did have the intake manifold leak-and I'm not convinced it is fixed-but I lazily had someone else do the intake gasket job-they screwed EVERYTHING up that I have checked-cross threaded oil drain screw/bolt-the harmonic balancer bolt into the freakin crank- several oil pan screws-so no reason to think he didn't screw up the install 3 years back.

But the engine is very good-vehicle -for a $2950 195,000 mile vehicle-has been very reliable-good mpg too.

- - - Updated - - -

1996 to 04 GM vortec are crap engines ! ! ! I have driven GM trucks for 34 years. This 1997 chev Silverado 2 wd 350 vortec engine is 2nd engine in this truck with 15,000 miles on it now. Losing water, lost of rear lights (all of them) and now lost of oil pressure gauge reading, at times. Start with engine after ER run to hospital engine cracked block and both heads. Had been having water loss for long time. New engine has same kind of water lost problem, have applied new Fel-Pro intake gaskets 2 times now, still losing water. How can GM design this crap, an intake with 4 bolts at each end within about 4" of each end of intake with no bolts in middle at all and change bolt direction to vertical the best way to have bolts loosen up. With EGR going into middle of head temperature somewhere around 500* the intake gasket from GM will burn at 450*. Does GM not see a problem with gaskets burning out causing these water leaks ??? My job for 34 years was finding water leaks so I know what to look for, this engine has no outside water leak. This engine runs find. Now the oil pressure gauge, when brakes are applied oil pressure gauge hand falls to the bottom on right side of gauge, not zero side. The release brakes reading goes to 60 psi, where it has been reading. For lights, tail lights work now but brake lights do not, flashers, turn sign and running lights work. I put a brake light system on truck not using any thing to do with truck brake lights.
    Oil pressure gauge is latest problem, if anyone has found a fix for this Please send answer to gocway775@gmail.com Thank You
    That is unusual-my 1998 has 224,500 miles now-last 30,000 and 6.5 years are mine.
    I did have the intake manifold leak-and I'm not convinced it is fixed-but I lazily had someone else do the intake gasket job-they screwed EVERYTHING up that I have checked-cross threaded oil drain screw/bolt-the harmonic balancer bolt into the freakin crank- several oil pan screws-so no reason to think he didn't screw up the install 3 years back.

But the engine is very good-vehicle -for a $2950 195,000 mile vehicle-has been very reliable-good mpg too.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234