GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Stiffer Rear 2004

Hello, I have a 04 1/2 ton ext cab silverado. Is there anything I can do to stiffen the rear end up so it won't sag so bad when I carry a heavy load or tow my boat ?
    I have new Billstein shocks on all four corners.
    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Mike

I Think you can get some sort of spring helpers. I have seen them before, Im just not sure about your model..
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

add-a-leafs or some type of helper springs would be my thoughts
    2005 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L 3.73 gears

old:
    1999 Chevy Silverado 5.3L 3.73 gears
    1994 Chevy S-10 4.3L
    1992 Chevy S-10 4.3L

Add a leaf is around $80-$90 for the add a leafs, which are an easy self installation, Helper springs run you a good penny more then that, but what i recommend is having air bags, which cost upwards to $300, but you can change the pressure, low pressure for daily driving, high pressure for when your hauling. Fairly easy installation too.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Look on google for Firestone Airbags. they are awesome and will help you out a lot.
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Thanks...I have looked at the Firestone Air Springs. They look cool. Do either one of you guys have them ? and if so.....do you have the ones with a built in air compressor that you can adjust on the road while driving ? Looks like they have a lot of good reviews.
    Thanks
    Mike

I've used Add A Leafs and bags, I prefer bags.
    Bags can be adjusted to ride smooth every time where AAL's when unloaded bounce a bit.
    The down side is bags cost more. If you can afford the expense, especially since you mentioned trailering go with the bags you wont regret it.
    I've got bags on my 2500 Sub and my 1 ton Dually.
    If you install an optional in cab regulator and on board compressor you can adjust while driving. You can go the cheaper route and use a schraeder valve for servicing but again I recommend spending the extra money for the regulator and compressor. THe regulator and compressor can be added at a later time.
    Last edited by tbplus10; 04-24-2010 at 01:45 PM.

My friends dad has them on his 2009 GMC 2500hd, and when i asked him about them he said that it was the best money he's spent for towing. I'm actually wanting to get a set for my truck, but... I'm getting lift springs so i wont be able to have air bags that are 7"taller then normal bags. Unless i make an adapter to space it out, but i don't know.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Thanks for the suggestions...I can't justify spending $300 or more on air bags. I don't really tow that much. I was kind of looking at helper springs, Like the Hellwigs. Does any one have any experience with this brand ?
    Thanks again
    Mike