GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Engineer

Question Plastic fender flares... to Remove or not to remove

Hey guys. I've seen quite a few silverados now in the 2003 - 2006 range that have the plastic fender flares around the wheel wells removed. I really like the look with them off personally, however I have yet to see it on a truck with stock rims and am not sure how it would look. Regarding functionality, I was wondering if this would increase chances of rust on the wheel wells in years to come? I realize if I take care of it and keep it clean it shouldn't be a problem, but realistically washing my truck during -40 winters to get salt off is not going to happen until it warms up significantly. Below is a link to a post with the most recent pictures I have of my truck (taken a week ago) so let me know what you think.

Pictures
    Last edited by Big_Ben; 04-24-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

Master Mechanic

I don't like the looks of the stock flares, but the bushwackers are nice, i have a set on my truck, with some pics up in my photo albums if you want to take a look, they look a lot nicer, and are more functional, doesn't keep all the dirt off, but about 80% less probably. it'll look good without them too, unless they've been on the truck for years, in which case the paint won't be faded with the rest of the body and wont match, and there will probably be wear spots in the paiint if you pull em.

2009 silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4X4
    6in FabTech suspension lift
    35x13R18 nitto terra grapplers
    6k and risin

Previously owned vehicles-
    2007 silverado ext cab LT 4x4
    2001 silverado std cab 2wd
    1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA
    1957 Chevy Pickup stepside

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by 383man View Post
    it'll look good without them too, unless they've been on the truck for years, in which case the paint won't be faded with the rest of the body and wont match, and there will probably be wear spots in the paiint if you pull em.
    That was one of my other concerns I forgot to mention. I've only had the truck for just over a year now and it's 6 years old. I'm afraid of how much darker the black will be around the wheel wells vs. the rest of the truck. I do like your bushwacker flares though! Not to sure how they'd look on mine. I have a feeling it might look a bit goofy since I have no lift whatsoever. I suppose I could just take them off and if I don't like it - put them back on, but I thought I'd get a few opinions first.

Mine are stock and they bolt on, so I cant take mine off cuz I would have holes all over. But I like em...
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy77084 View Post
    Mine are stock and they bolt on, so I cant take mine off cuz I would have holes all over. But I like em...
    thats another thing i like about the bushwackers, they bolt onto the inner fender, no cosmetic damage to your truck, just a rubber gasket on the paint thats all. real easy to install and take off again.

check out adampaul1964 he took his off. if you do take them off and are interested in letting them go i'd love to make a deal

'04 Chevy 1500 Ext. Cab 4x4
    265/75-16 Sport King A/T

As was previously mentioned I took mine off and I like it much better without them.

Adam

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    As was previously mentioned I took mine off and I like it much better without them.
    Man I love your truck! haha

You're actually the original inspiration for this idea... then I saw a few local trucks in town that were fender-less.

But you have nice rims and low-profile tires... I'm not sure how this will look with stock rims and A/T tires.

How do they come off anyways? I haven't even looked yet. Are they just bolted on underneath?

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by hildy19 View Post
    check out adampaul1964 he took his off. if you do take them off and are interested in letting them go i'd love to make a deal
    If they come off, and it looks good I'm up for a deal. The fender flare on the passenger side rear has a pretty decent gash in it from previous owner. So if you don't mind that we can talk more when they come off. I can send you a pic of the damaged one if you want.

They are mounted with double side tape and the same type of "push"fastener that fastens the underhood splash shield, the one that covers the space between the radiator and grille.
    And just so you know shipping is ridiculous for the flares, I've had several people interested in mine but when they find out its at least a $100 to ship they lose interest!
    (The second pic in previous post shows the stock wheels on the truck.)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by