GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question My Intro and question about Stock Wheel measurments

And I have question I hope someone can answer for me.

Would anyone know the offset and backspace info for the 16" x 7", 6-bolt on 5.5" pattern OEM stock alloy wheels mounted on a 1992 Suburban K1500 Silverado 4x4 5.7-liter engine?

I'm in real need of new tires & shocks. So, since I got a nice income tax refund (& I want to help stimulate the economy) it seems like a good time to do a 2" lift and put on some Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO LT295/75R16/D tires (33.2" diameter) to get a bit more clearance off-road. Goodrich says these tires need to go on 7.5' to 9.5" rims or I void the warranty.So, I've got some new 16" x 8" wheels picked picked out (AR321 FUEL Black) and I want to make sure I order the right ones so they'll fit with no wheel-well/fender trimming or other modifications. I've already ordered the lift kit (Tuff Country) along with 4 Bilstein HD shocks. My "Sweet Bertha" came to me with the OEM off-road (skid plates) & towing packages. I've also added a rear axle truss/differential skid plate, a Warn XD9000i winch mounted on a front-end receiver hitch and a custom grill (cattle) guard.

I've scoured the net looking for this wheel info until I'm blurry eyed, seeing double and developed a migraine.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. Kudos to anyone with the correct answer. When I'm done with this project, I'll post some pix & comments on how it all works out.

Offset should be 31mm, and from that you can figure back space, which should be around 4 7/8" or 5". To be sure of the offset you can find it stamped on the inside of the wheel.(16 X 7 31MM)
    Adam

Looking forward to the pics.
    Morgan
    2010 Silverado Ext. Cab LTZ 2 WD 6 ft bed
    5.3L 6 speed w\ 3.08 rear end
    Navigation Package
    Westin lighted boards
    Undercover SE tonneau cover
    It's a start!

Welcome to the site!

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    Offset should be 31mm, and from that you can figure back space, which should be around 4 7/8" or 5". To be sure of the offset you can find it stamped on the inside of the wheel.(16 X 7 31MM)
    Thanks for the info but I have some doubts if it's correct. I've done quite a bit of reading about wheel offset & backspace. I think I understand it pretty well. I pulled the right rear wheel on my Sub and did some measuring (with the tire still mounted). Laying the tire & wheel face down, the backspace seems awful deep. My measurements came up with an offset around +57mm giving me a backspace of around 6.25". And I did take into account that the 16" x 7" wheel measurements are take from inside the wheel without a mounted tire. I'm not quite ready to remove a tire to see what's stamped in the inside of the wheel. Keep in mind, these are the GM Factory stock alloy wheels on my 1992 Suburban 4x4. Here's a link for my stock wheel -- http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/w_selec...MODEL=SUBURBAN

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome to the site! Glad to have you here!
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)

Quote Originally Posted by raf1231 View Post
    Thanks for the info but I have some doubts if it's correct. I've done quite a bit of reading about wheel offset & backspace. I think I understand it pretty well. I pulled the right rear wheel on my Sub and did some measuring (with the tire still mounted). Laying the tire & wheel face down, the backspace seems awful deep. My measurements came up with an offset around +57mm giving me a backspace of around 6.25". And I did take into account that the 16" x 7" wheel measurements are take from inside the wheel without a mounted tire. I'm not quite ready to remove a tire to see what's stamped in the inside of the wheel. Keep in mind, these are the GM Factory stock alloy wheels on my 1992 Suburban 4x4. Here's a link for my stock wheel -- http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/w_selec...MODEL=SUBURBAN
    I didn't mean inside the tire, just on the back side of the wheel. Most stock rims have it the size cast into the wheel on one of the spokes, although it's been a while since I've had that size rim. I can tell you this though, I put 2003 Silverado rims on my old '97 'Burb to replace the rims you are talking about and they are 16 x 7.5 with 31mm offset and they didn't stick out any further than the original. Also if you have a backspace of 6.25 on a 7 inch rim the lugnut mounting surface would be only 3/4" from the outside bead of the wheel, if you look at the dish where the center cap goes, it's pretty deep. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer but as far as your new wheels go, if your looking for factory mounting characteristics then go with as close to 31mm as you can since I know for sure thats what factory offset is for '99 to present. You can go at least as low as 20mm and still be fine and 12mm will probably work too just stay away from negative offset.
    Adam

Welcome to the GMTruckClub!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Blog Entries

Welcome to the club, Even with the offset you might rub when the wheel is just right and you hit a bump. I have a 99 with a 4" lift and if I hit a hard bump when the wheel was just right, the tire would scrape the plastic wind shield and the bumper a little.
    "If I were lie'n I'd be cry'n and I aint shed a tear"

Legend

Welcome to the club

Please don't forget to fill out your signature with your vehicle detail.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast