GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1

    Default How do you guys do it?

    I gotta know how you guys do it. Spend so much on your vehicles(they look f***ing badass)

    I am so hesitant to buy stuff or do stuff to it because i dont want to mess anything up.
    but yet i still want to do stuff to it like Fender Flares, rims and tires, take all the chrome out, spray in bed liner, and N-Fab side steps.

    Either you guys got balls of steel or im quite the pansy.
    2007 Chevy Silverado LT1 NBS
    Extended Cab Z71
    Desert Brown

    Future Mods
    1. Spray In Bedliner
    2. Tinted Windows
    3. Black Rims and tires
    4. Black N-Fab Steps
    5. ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    6. Bushwacker Fender Flares
    7. Exhaust System
    8. Remove All Chrome

    In No Particular Order

  2. #2

    Default

    Now THIS! is funny! HAHA!
    MY LUG NUTS REQUIRE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR RICER MAKES! :sign0011:

    2004 Silverado 2500 "Judas"
    Crew Cab and Short Bed
    6.0L Vortec
    Diablo Predator
    True Dual Exhaust: Hooker MaxFlow Mufflers and X-Pipe
    Drop-In K&N Air Filter
    Alpine Stereo System: iDA-x303 Deck, SPS-600 Front and Rear Speakers, KTP-445 Amplifier

    Future Upgrades Include:
    Cosmetic/Other: Spray-In Bed Liner, HID head lights, Leveling Kit
    Performance: Underdrive Pulleys

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I gotta know how you guys do it. Spend so much on your vehicles(they look f***ing badass)

    I am so hesitant to buy stuff or do stuff to it because i dont want to mess anything up.
    but yet i still want to do stuff to it like Fender Flares, rims and tires, take all the chrome out, spray in bed liner, and N-Fab side steps.

    Either you guys got balls of steel or im quite the pansy.

    no offense but you are no doubt a pansy. i understand not wanting to lift it high but the least you could do is a spray in bed liner and n-fabs. hhahaha get your butt to work on ur truck
    Last edited by chschevy58; 04-28-2010 at 09:35 PM.
    -20% Window Tint
    -Flowmaster 40 Series Dual Exhaust
    -2.25" ReadyLIFT Leveling Kit
    -325/60R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    -18x9 Helo 835's
    -Pioneer AVH-p4200dvd Headunit

  4. #4
    Master Mechanic
    383man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chehalis, WA
    Posts
    507

    Default

    lol, well, i won't call you a pansy, i just started small and worked my way up to bigger things lol. theres very little you can do to your vehicle that can't be reversed, just make sure you put planning time into your projects before taking the sawzall to it, an ounce of planning is worth a pound of doing...i think thats how that goes anyways lol, if you have questions just ask us, we'll hook ya up with info

    2009 silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4X4
    6in FabTech suspension lift
    35x13R18 nitto terra grapplers
    6k and risin

    Previously owned vehicles-
    2007 silverado ext cab LT 4x4
    2001 silverado std cab 2wd
    1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA
    1957 Chevy Pickup stepside

  5. #5
    Legend

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East of Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    2,788
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Wrench-

    That's a good question actually. It's one of those things that a little intimidating but it's really quite simple once you get going. You can either go for a look (which I suggest) or just start adding stuff you think is "nice" as you go along.

    The issue is always...money. In a big way. There's nothing you can do (or... actually... have DONE) to your truck but that money thing...that's the big thing that gets in the way.

    But just keep in mind...what is the look you would like, ultimately, and what kind of look would you like on the way to achieving that ultimate look?

    I like the big, beefy, rugged-type of black stealthy look, if there is such a thing for the suburban. I like to be driving down the road and have ppl say ".....w..t...h...is...THAT!?" as opposed to "wow..that's a huge lifted truck!"

    So, pick a truck you like out of all the pictures after you figure out what you want it to look like and just start hacking at it. Keep in mind...it's a truck. It's YOUR truck. Make it YOUR truck. When you moved into your house you painted the walls, you put up pictures, you got your furniture, you redid the patio and made the walkway bigger and changed it to brick.. you made it yours. Do the same with your truck.

    Then....start picking the things you want and add to it, one piece at a time. If you don't like something.. change it back. If you don't like the painted grill, paint it another colour, modify it, or paint it the original colour.

    Have fun with it, that's pretty much why a lot of people are here on the GMTC.
    Steven



    "The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy




  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    Wrench-

    That's a good question actually. It's one of those things that a little intimidating but it's really quite simple once you get going. You can either go for a look (which I suggest) or just start adding stuff you think is "nice" as you go along.

    The issue is always...money. In a big way. There's nothing you can do (or... actually... have DONE) to your truck but that money thing...that's the big thing that gets in the way.

    But just keep in mind...what is the look you would like, ultimately, and what kind of look would you like on the way to achieving that ultimate look?

    I like the big, beefy, rugged-type of black stealthy look, if there is such a thing for the suburban. I like to be driving down the road and have ppl say ".....w..t...h...is...THAT!?" as opposed to "wow..that's a huge lifted truck!"

    So, pick a truck you like out of all the pictures after you figure out what you want it to look like and just start hacking at it. Keep in mind...it's a truck. It's YOUR truck. Make it YOUR truck. When you moved into your house you painted the walls, you put up pictures, you got your furniture, you redid the patio and made the walkway bigger and changed it to brick.. you made it yours. Do the same with your truck.

    Then....start picking the things you want and add to it, one piece at a time. If you don't like something.. change it back. If you don't like the painted grill, paint it another colour, modify it, or paint it the original colour.

    Have fun with it, that's pretty much why a lot of people are here on the GMTC.

    what he said

  7. #7

    Default

    thanks for the awesome response Springthing. Yeah i was mainly gearing the question towards money wise. but like ya said if ya do it one piece at a time it wont seem like such a big hit.

    Now another question i have is, start off with the more expensive stuff(i.e. wheels and tire) or the somewhat smaller stuff first?

    lol dont worry i can take constructive criticism. Its just this 2007 Silverado is the newest vehicle i ever bought and im always hesitant when it comes to doing stuff to new things.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    thanks for the awesome response Springthing. Yeah i was mainly gearing the question towards money wise. but like ya said if ya do it one piece at a time it wont seem like such a big hit.

    Now another question i have is, start off with the more expensive stuff(i.e. wheels and tire) or the somewhat smaller stuff first?

    lol dont worry i can take constructive criticism. Its just this 2007 Silverado is the newest vehicle i ever bought and im always hesitant when it comes to doing stuff to new things.
    i bought my 2007 silverado new bodystyle off the lot as soon as they came out. i started small. tinted my windows first ($100). then about few months later i did exhaust ($330). then 2 1/2 years later i did my leveling kit and wheels and tires(about $2500). then yesterday i moved to the interior and had my touch screen headunit ... subs ... and amp installed (about $800). and i have done a few minor things here and there that were cheap ... like smoked tail lights ($75)... painted handles($70) ... painted bowtie(about $5 because i did it myself).


    ... i treat it like its my new born haha
    Last edited by chschevy58; 04-28-2010 at 10:13 PM.

  9. #9
    Legend
    murdog94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cloquet, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    8,198
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    When i had a new rig, i went for the little things and stepped up as my wallet would allow.. Now that i have an older rig i think i have more in repairs and mods (ive owned it since the middle of march) than i have into the purchase price.. BUt i still took my time,.. The only thing that really cost me was the rims (paid $300 with tires) and the cost of mounting the new tires from my brand new rig. And putting the used tires off of the bought rims onto the new truck... But otherwise a lot of what i do is junk yard digging.......
    As for a new truck as i said above, and honestly springthing couldnt have put it any better..
    Mike

    Currently

    1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

    2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

    2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

    "Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

  10. #10
    Legend

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East of Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    2,788
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Tire/wheels, to me, at the one and only biggest things you can do to change the entire 'feel' of your car/truck. Take an old beater car...1970's-ish...and put on some Cragars and you've gone from a POS to a car you'll find in the movies the rugged cop or the hero drives around everywhere with the open headers and all.

    But that's major bucks... If I were you and I'd be kind of tight on money, I'd find accessories. A pushbar, new grill, new rack, new headlights/taillights. That's stuff that's anywhere from $75 to a few hundred.

    If you can....save up for a lift. Don't go HIGH if you are keeping your factory wheels or you'll look silly. (or at least get some taller and/or more rugged looking tires!)

    Again, hope this helps.

    Oh...have a look through the albums here and see what others have done. Pick out what you like the most and see what you can do to get the look going on your own truck.

    Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Ok guys help me out.
    By Duncan_Z71 in forum Lifted & Offroad Suspension
    Replies: 11
    Last: 03-05-2010, 06:57 PM
  2. What do you guys think?
    By bigburb in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last: 02-04-2010, 07:12 PM
  3. Hey guys...
    By STS_Silverado in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 13
    Last: 02-02-2010, 07:48 PM
  4. Hey Guys
    By Z71 Coltman in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 13
    Last: 02-02-2010, 07:18 PM
  5. What do you guys think?
    By 2ToNe04 in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last: 08-31-2009, 10:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •