GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Realistic HP gains from intake and muffler

Hello all. New guy here
    I recently purchased a new 2010 chevy silverado.
    it has the 4.8 v8 2wd. and i looove the power, coming from a 4.3.
    that being said, i'd like MORE. lol isn't that always the case? needing more power.

Anyway, i DID just buy a new truck and i don't have a lotta money to spend, so i'm thinking an intake and muffler would be the obvious choice.
    So, realistically, what kind of horsepower gains should i expect from...say, a K&N air intake system, and a flow master muffler, or corsa, Single in-Dual out.

Sorry if this could've been found using the search feature. i DID look, but it's late, and i'm late for bed.
    Thanks for any input!

Legend

depending on what you wanna get from what company they actually have dyno tests for some products, but realistacally you arent gonna feel mu if anything, but for sure you will see in your upper RPM band, your RPMs will climb quicker when trying to pass someone. But agin it really comes down to the truck. You could take an identical truck to yours and add the same things you do and you will get different results. Its reallywhat your prefernce and budget are gonna allow
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    depending on what you wanna get from what company they actually have dyno tests for some products, but realistacally you arent gonna feel mu if anything, but for sure you will see in your upper RPM band, your RPMs will climb quicker when trying to pass someone. But agin it really comes down to the truck. You could take an identical truck to yours and add the same things you do and you will get different results. Its reallywhat your prefernce and budget are gonna allow
    X2. Ive had CAIs and exhaust, and noticed a nominal gain, but i really like the sounds, and the typical mpg increase.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

alright, thanks, I see what you're saying about every truck being different. I think that applies to a lot of different things other than trucks also.
    but anyone else? any opinions suggestions or so on?

In my opinion....

Just a muffler swap won't give you much of a HP gain.

You would need to go to a set of Headers, Hi-flow CAT's and then muffler.

Now your talking some extra ponies....
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

A good cat back system like from Corsa or Borla or Billy Boat About $699-$900 A good CAI about $250.00 HP Gains I would say about 15-30 Hp Headers ? Your factory Header and Cats are not as bad as they used to be. They are pretty much open..A good programer will also give you some power..MPG's all depend on your Right foot.. I am now Avg'ing 14 and on the way up with my 08 5.3 Avalanche.

Good luck and just remember If you have more air coming in (CAI) You have to do the same for the Out put (Exhust system) Also keep your Mass Air Flow Sensor clean.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

OK now I know I will be in trouble for this buy here goes,,, this is an opinion forum right? I bought a Spectre cai for my 06 Silverado 5.3 and noticed about two mpg increase after about 100 miles of driving until the ecm could figure out what was happening and adjust. This was done with no exhaust mod. The part cost a little over a hundred bucks after I shopped around and it was the same as the high end parts and looked better than some of them.

Frankly any company that sells a six inch tin tube and air filter for $300 plus should be boycoted. Same for an exhaust system. Exhaust systems are two things, bigger pipes and header tubes the same length which is a poor mans way of saying they are "tuned" You are really buying the space inside the pipe if you know what i mean.

Also if the vehicle is new I dont understand why someone would tear off good exensive parts that are brand new and they are probably making payments on and throw them away.

Spend the money on stuuff to make it prettier that you can see like running boards or a tonneau cover or what ever.

Anyway, no offense meant this is just my humble opinion.

Good luck with the new ride.

Q

guys, remember, this is a NEW truck. tearing off the whole exhaust is out of the question. so is a tuner... don't know about the other stuff. I'm up for anything that won't void my warranty.
    I ask about the muffler because any thing behind the cats ie, muffler and new pipe, won't void my warranty. SO, i was just wanting a ballpark hp gain from these two items.
    thanks again.

Realistic gains without a programmer: about 10HP from BOTH at the same time.

Realistic gains with a programmer: about 10HP from EACH.

I can understand not wanting to get a programmer due to the fact that it voids your warranty.

Once thing you could do to pull a little extra HP from the exhaust system though is install a crossover after the cats. An X-Pipe will give you more high end power, and H-Pipe will give you more low end torque. (Personally, I would go with an X-Pipe because of how much it helps with flow compared to the H-Pipe.) But if you throw in a cross over, you can probably pull another 2 or 3 HP as well.

Also something to note, the newer trucks (I think 08 and newer) have REALLY good air intake systems stock. They really did a pretty good job fixing them to flow better than previously. To save some money, you might just get a better high flow filter first before you actually buy a full intake system.
    MY LUG NUTS REQUIRE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR RICER MAKES! :sign0011:

2004 Silverado 2500 "Judas"
    Crew Cab and Short Bed
    6.0L Vortec
    Diablo Predator
    True Dual Exhaust: Hooker MaxFlow Mufflers and X-Pipe
    Drop-In K&N Air Filter
    Alpine Stereo System: iDA-x303 Deck, SPS-600 Front and Rear Speakers, KTP-445 Amplifier

Future Upgrades Include:
    Cosmetic/Other: Spray-In Bed Liner, HID head lights, Leveling Kit
    Performance: Underdrive Pulleys

Quote Originally Posted by c_m_chance View Post
    One thing you could do to pull a little extra HP from the exhaust system though is install a crossover after the cats. An H-Pipe will give you more low end torque. (Personally, I would go with an X-Pipe because of how much it helps with flow compared to the H-Pipe.)
    Also something to note, the newer trucks (I think 08 and newer) have REALLY good air intake systems stock. They really did a pretty good job fixing them to flow better than previously. To save some money, you might just get a better high flow filter first before you actually buy a full intake system
    Good info! thanks a bunch. exactly the kind of answer i was looking for.
    I REALLY want more low end torque, so i think an H pipe is the way to go for me. Is an H pipe something fairly common for an exhaust installer? or is it something i'll have to show them how to do? lol
    I once read that the "H" section isn't ACTUALLY shaped like an H, more like the bar in the middle being angled or something? could someone show me an example of this setup?

Also, i was planning on adding the filter first anyway, before i went ahead and bought the whole setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast