GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1995 Silverado Starting Issue

I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado (1500) that has been giving me starting issues, and lately won't start at all.

At first, it would just make a loud clicking noise (starter) and after a couple tries, it would start right up and run perfectly fine. Later on, I'd have to retry quite a few times and it would work. After one particularly bad time, I ran it over to Autozone to get them to do a battery/starter test on it and the tester machine said bad battery cell.

After I replaced the battery, it ran and started great for a week. Then one day when I was trying to go to lunch, it just wouldn't start at all. Left it overnight, started up the next day, drove it home and not it simply won't start at all, it still makes the clicking noise, but doesn't attempt to turn the engine over.

I've checked all the fuses, I've taken the starter to two places to get it tested with both confirming it worked on their test bench, and I even tried a trick someone told me about using jumper cables to make another connection from the positive post to the starter to ensure that the battery cables were fine (which almost turned out badly, but seemed to have power to the starter).

As a side note, I haven't tested the alternator directly yet, but I'm almost positive it's not the alternator as I never had the truck die on me after driving for a while (as in my previous experience when the alternator went out).

So I guess my main questions would be, can a starter still be bad after it's been tested as still working, and what else could be causing my truck to not turn over at all, but still make clicking noises from the starter?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Your Alternator might just be putting out enough voltage to run the system and then draws from the battery when you use the lights etc.. You will want to test that as well. And have you tried to jump the truck off??
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Yes, I have tried to jump the truck off at least twice in the time since it quit starting altogether... with the exact same results. Starter makes one loud click noise, but doesn't actually turn the motor over at all. Before it quit starting altogether, jumping it off worked maybe once or twice.

I'm starting to think that it's either the starter or solenoid, mainly because of the fact that the problem just slowly kept getting worse and worse... especially since I waited too long to try to pinpoint the problem. I just can't imagine that it would keep starting the truck if the alternator wasn't charging the system enough each trip. Especially since I would have sessions where I'd have to keep trying to start it for a little bit before it would actually start (at least a few tries early on and probably 5 to 10 tries most recently I'd guess).

As a side note, I meant to mention that the starter itself has a lot of road grime/oil/grease on its housing, which makes me wonder if some of that hasn't somehow worked its way into the starter itself. I doubt it, but thought it might at least be worth mentioning.

I'm going to take the starter back off today to inspect the flywheel and the bendix on the starter for wear and tear. Might also just take the alternator off and take both parts to the parts store and have them tested (although as I first posted, I've already had the starter tested). I'll try to check back before I make a decision on which to buy (already have a starter on hold just in case).

Just wanted to give an update... I went ahead and replaced the starter and everything seems to be working now. The reman. starter that I got sounds a bit different (kind of a whirring noise that I hadn't heard before), so I may need to adjust the starter's position later on.

I got them to test the old one again before buying the new one, and it still passed their tests, so not sure what to think about that.

Default bad starter

I think you did the right thing, starters can do things or not work properly and still pass the cheap tests of the auto stores.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmcintire View Post
    I think you did the right thing, starters can do things or not work properly and still pass the cheap tests of the auto stores.
    X2. I was just trying to see where you were currently.. Then i was going to lean twards a starter as well. It just sucks to change one out only to have iot not fix the problem.

Legend
    Blog Entries

It costs more to have your starter rebuilt here in MN that to just buy a reman on.. on the TBI motors it is $42 or mabey a little less for a new reman and it costs no less than $65 to get it rebuilt.

Actually, I tried the hammer trick too, to no avail though. Seemed to be that the starter just wasn't strong enough anymore or something.

I was very hesitant to even try to start the motor once I put the new starter on, but very VERY relieved once it cranked right up. Still wondering a bit about the new, very different whirring sound that is coming out of the new starter. Mainly wondering if it isn't just because it's new, or if I need to adjust its position just a tad. I'll have to see how it goes for the next couple days of starting it.