GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is my 2002 suburban LT a "flexfuel" model???

I recently (a week ago) bought a 2002 suburban k1500 LT 4wd. In reading the owner's manual I learned that this model could or could not be the flexfuel compatible engine, but it does not tell you how to determine which one you have. I have learned that the fuel filters are different (one for the "gas" engine is threaded fittings on both ends, and the one for the "flexfuel" is threaded on the aft side and a snap in type clip doohicky for the front.) A great little piece of knowledge until I was told that they could be either or with the gas engine or the flexfuel engine, was told by the fella at NAPA that these suburbans can have either filter and the engine does not matter, it's about where it was built and which lines they used. Anyway, my 'Burb does not have a "flexfuel" badge on it, nor does it have anything to tell me which I have on any of the engine compartment stickers. Please shed some light on this for me.

Thank You.

Mudrock1980,

Assuming you have the 5.3L Vortec...if so, check your VIN. If the 8th character is a 'Z", you have a flex fuel capable vehicle.

FYI - I believe something like > 70% of the suburbans made that year were flex fuel capable. I'm not sure how accurate the filter type information is, but I do have the "quick connect" on mine and I know it's flex fuel from the "Z" designation in the VIN.

Never used E85 myself. Not readily available in my neck of the woods. I know it's eco-friendly, but I've read about the decreased power and mileage associated with E85.
    05 Suburban LT
    02 Suburban LT
    94 Jeep Cherokee

Legend

It will have a Flexfuel badge on the rear door just above the bumper if it is (auto makers want it visible that a vehicle is flexfuel, especially a truck). Also dont be surprised when you get a little dip in fuel economy with the E85
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f.fuel.jpg  
    Last edited by vncj96; 05-02-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Going out to check the VIN... My fuel filter is the "quick connect" on one end too, but no flexfuel badge.. i"ll let ya know when I check the vin.
    2002 CHEV Suburban 1500 4wd LT, Flowmaster 40's True dual's, Green Intake System, Fosgate sub, DVD, PS2, 285/70/17 BFG KM2's, torsions cranked up a bit... stock for the most part....**** who can do a "real fire" flame job in western WA??? ****

Legend

Not sure if GM did it, but other car companies actually give them the yellowish green gas cap to distinguish it as well to help remind you when you are at the pump
    285/75/16

it is the "z" for the 8th character. I don't know why I don't have the flexfuel badge though. It might be because I have the rear liftgate with flipper glass instead of the barn doors??? Either way, thanks for the help.
    2002 CHEV Suburban 1500 4wd LT, Flowmaster 40's True dual's, Green Intake System, Fosgate sub, DVD, PS2, 285/70/17 BFG KM2's, torsions cranked up a bit... stock for the most part....**** who can do a "real fire" flame job in western WA??? ****

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mudrock1980 View Post
    it is the "z" for the 8th character. I don't know why I don't have the flexfuel badge though. It might be because I have the rear liftgate with flipper glass instead of the barn doors??? Either way, thanks for the help.
    Am sure the previous owner just took it off. Just a word of warning though, with the E85 you will see a dip in MPG and if it has never run on it, it could lead to some gasket issues. I know there was a recall on gaskets for some vehciles that were E85 but not sure which ones, so look into that.
    285/75/16

Blog Entries

To the best of my knowledge the none of the suburbans had the badge until the body style change. I have used E85 in my suburban and found that on the highway the mpg dropped by about 1.5. But part of what ecombe said was incorrect. You could see increase in performance after the computer has adjusted to it because it has a higher octane (105). Here is a link:http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Myths

2002 Suburban 4x4 LS 9 Passenger
    1991 Ford F-150

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I just checked a Station by me in Spring Valley NY They are at $299.99 for E-85 Reg is at $2.99-$3.07 in NY But I can still get it for $2.63-2.79 in NJ... I'll stick with Reg...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Yeah, my '03 is a flex-fuel(based on the Z in the vin). They didn't start putting the badge on until fuel prices skyrocketed in '05, and it became the "green" thing to do.

I've never used it, but, from what I've seen, its more expensive and your fuel economy goes down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast