GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: x pipe

Default x pipe

i was looking at putting a x pipe on my 01 2500HD with true dual straight pipes. the site claims that it adds power, i know it will balance out the back pressure but will it acctually add power

Master Mechanic Silverado Junkie's Avatar

Its supposed to add power but i think an H-pipe is better than an x-pipe. An x-pipe forces both exhaust streams into one point then divides out again. This causes more back pressure than an H-pipe.
    1995 Silverado,Z71, 3-inch lift,2-inch leveling kit, SkyJacker Suspension, short ram-air intake, throttle body spacer, MSD ignition coil, straight pipes

Im old school, I like dual pipes with no crossover. That way you can tell what bank in giving you problems, Valve seals,valve leak,rings leaking, and misfire. My .02
    95 tahoe 2dr 4x4 200,000+ miles

Thumbs up 180 degree headers in a Vette

I vote for H pipes. Power increase or not, it tends to quiet the exhaust note down a bit. If you really wanted to modify your exhaust for a power increase take a look at 180 headers.
    They have a distinctive sound that not everyone is a fan of:
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

In the other section I have a thread with many links and info.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20690

Some highlights

Recommendations:

1. Always use a crossover of one kind or another. Our tests indicate that the X type gives additional improvements over the H type.

2. Mount the mufflers as far to the rear of the chassis as possible. An important characteristic of the exhaust system (behind the headers) is its ability to dissipate heat energy. Heat loss brings with it, gas volume reduction, enabling smaller mufflers and pipes to be used without penalty.

3. Always us the largest case muffler that you can fit under the chassis possible. The larger internal volume allows additional acoustical energy to be absorbed ,dissipated and eliminated.

4. Unless an engine is in the 500+ horsepower level or run at very high RPM, the maximum tailpipe size required for minimal power loss is probably 2.5" diameter. When the exhaust pipes and mufflers drop the temperature significantly, the volume of the exhaust gas is reduced and tailpipe sizes is not as critical.

Crossover Test Results:

By reviewing the data in figures 8-10 (below), it can be seen that when comparing the H and X types, the X crossover not only reduced 60 foot times and quarter mile times but increased trap speed as well. Functionally, the difference between the X and the H is, the X type forces the exhaust to cross between both sides. Based on the performance increases we noted with the X crossover, the scavenging forces created by the gasses crossing over in this way appear to be stronger and more effective across a wider range of engine speeds
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT