GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Bet the dealers will shotgun the problem with new tires, window molding and a myrid of other ideas when it is actually the engineering and or postioning of the RR cabin vent.
    nope, actually the factory mechanics are usually the ones that figure out gms engineering problems and fix them. when gm see's all these repairs they'll want to know what we did and make a bulliton on it

i'd expect a re-designed vent soon w/ this many complaints. we havnet had any at our shop yet.

another thing yall can do to help this come along is when you take your truck to the dealer for this concern tell them to get on the phone with techline and see what gm is doing about this problem.

the mechanics have no say w/ gm, the customers have all the say especially when they start calling up complaining
    Last edited by Loggerhead Mike; 05-11-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    GM TECH

05 silverado shortbed

Smile

If I have time I am going to buy a pool noodle and position it between the cab and box below the cab vents.

Did have a chance to get a pool noodle, unfortunatly it has started to rain all things being considered I do believe thier was a reduction in roadnoise!

Drove the truck 150km with the $2.00 pool noodle between the cab and box my wife was sitted in the back seat and said all was good.

I remove the noodle for a short time one evening and almost immediately my wife notice the difference and questioned me if I had changed something(I hadn't told her).

The noodle was reinstalled shortly after for the return 150 km trip.
    Last edited by NOAH; 05-27-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by NOAH View Post
    If I have time I am going to buy a pool noodle and position it between the cab and box below the cab vents.

Did have a chance to get a pool noodle, unfortunatly it has started to rain all things being considered I do believe thier was a reduction in roadnoise!
    I placed a square piece of foam rubber bet' the cab and box just below the vent. This has helped mine. I also bought some wheel well liners and installed them. The noise issue is improving.

i know we have established the problem, but would some dynamat or other sound deadening material be useful and a possible remedy to this issue? possibly just folding down the rear seats and removing the carpert and plastic on the rear cab wall and dynamatting this section may reduce some noise? possibly even doing the seatbelt areas as well being its coming from the vents. that might just make it more noticeable, or maybe even kill enough sound from other sources for you to not even notice.

My 06 has 2 of the vents as described by the rest of you and i havent had any issues as far as sound from these vents.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by kwconch021 View Post
    possibly just folding down the rear seats and removing the carpert and plastic on the rear cab wall...
    I *WISH* I could fold 'Down" my rear seat. I much preferred the downward folding rear seat in my '02 Silverado to the upward folding seat in my new '10 Sierra. Ugh...but that's a different issue.

Anyway, I wedged a piece of egg crate type packing foam directly over (completely covering) the right side cab vent, between the cab wall and box. This has reduced the noise significantly. Searching now for another piece of this stuff to put on the left side. I didn't think the left side was an issue but back seat passengers are telling me it is. I don't believe this is a long term solution but until I can find something better, it's what I'm doing.

Todd

Sr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by kwconch021 View Post
    My 06 has 2 of the vents as described by the rest of you and i havent had any issues as far as sound from these vents.
    You know.. I saw this thread last week and thought "damn are these guys being picky, my extended cab is dead quiet and so was the crew cab I had a few years ago!". Then over the weekend I rode in my parents' truck for the first time (they've got a 2009 crew cab) and if I didn't hear a wind noise from the back right corner It wasn't overly loud but definitely there, especially with the radio off.

Please tell me you guys are calling GM's customer service to report. We just bought a 2010 Sierra crew and LOVED the truck until we got it home and noticed in town and on the highway the road/wind noise made was horrid and felt like our ears were bleeding after 20 mins on the highway. We called GM and took it back to the dealer, were told by the dealer that they drove 3-4 trucks just like it and they all sound the same.

We are a GM family and ever since I can remember we have had some sort of GM truck in the family...NEVER with noise issues like this one.

I used to own a jeep and am used to road/wind noise..but the jeep is not ANYWHERE near the ear piercing you get from this truck. So regretting my purchase and only HOPE GM does not blow us off. I'm so dissapointed tho we loved everything else about the truck...i am really starting to hate it because of this (and we've only had it a week)

Try some of tips in this thread. The noise will lessen. I am using undercoat spray on the whl wells, then a wheel cover and the foam rubber wedged bet' the cab/box. Seems to help quite a bit.

PS: My 2005 Chev Sil' did not have this problem.

Here's a pool noodle:

Last edited by Arclight; 06-28-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Let's see some photos and write-ups for the different solutions that people have come to for this problem. Good work guys documenting this so far.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Hello guys i am having this problem 2. I had a 07.5 nbs and sold it a year ago and a couple days ago i went and purchased a 2010 silverado and drove it and i did not know if i forgot how loud it was or if i was losing my mind. so i drove my buddys 08 duramax and no noise. I need to figure something out at 60 miles or faster you can here the tire noise or something like crazy..