GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default S10 pinon pin alignment

Hey guys I really need some help in a hurry. I have a 2003 S10 4.3L 4Wd. I went to do a rear brake job and found the rear axle seals were leaking. So in order to fix the seals I had to remove the axles. I opened the differential cover removed the 5/16" retaining bolt, and slid the pinion pin out of the way and got the axles out. Now that I have the new bearings and seals in, and the axles and the c clips back in , I cannot get the pinion pin to go all the way back in. I am about 1/4" short of getting it to line up with the retaining bolt. Has anyone out there had this problem? What did you have to do to get it to line up again?

From reading a lot of the forums here, I think I know what I might have done wrong, but I dont know how to fix it. When I took the pinion pin out and removed the shafts, I did not put the pin back in right away, and in the course of looking for the c clips I rotated the drive shaft. So I may have gotten the spider gears out of alignment.

Again any ideas of how to get that pin all the way back in are greatly appreciated.

This is Monday night, I need to get the truck running by Friday at the latest.

Thanks.

rotate the diff untill the spider gears line back up. pull your axles out w/ a pry bar to get the c-clips to seat so you have enough clearance to get the pin back in

i hope that helps if not try and give us a more clear'r description
    GM TECH

05 silverado shortbed