GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Broken Spark Plug

Well, I decided to do a tune-up, and really, I'm still not done with it, but I went to change the plugs and wires. Well, the last one my uncle and I had to do was the rear passenger spark plug. It was very much stuck in place, so much that he actually broke the porcelain part of the plug off. Thank god the nut part was still there. It took probably 10 minutes to get it out, and we thought we killed the threads on the plug hole. Thank god we didn't, and I was able to get the new plug in. That was the scariest and terrifiying thing that's ever happened to me. But, doing the tune-up today was well worth it. I changed the oil and filter, replaced the plugs and wires (still have the cap and rotor to do, forgot to buy them with everything else), and air filter. I still need to replace the fuel filter, cap, rotor...and I'm sure I'm forgetting other things. What did I miss? Anyways, my spark plug issue is resolved, but I wanted to pass my hair-raising tale along........
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 03-21-2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: fixed spelling issues
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Well, I decided to do a tune-up, and really, I'm still not done with it, but I went to change the plugs and wires. Well, the last one my uncle and I had to do was the rear passenger spark plug. It was very much stuck in place, so much that he actually groke the porcelain part of the plug off. Thank god the nut part was still there. It took probably 10 minutes to get it out, and we thought we killed the threads on the plug hole. Thank god we didn't, and I was able to get the new plug in. That was the scariest and terrifiying thing that's ever happened to me. But, doing the tune-up today was weel worth it. I changed the oil and filter, replaced the plugs and wires (still have the cap and rotor to do, forgot to buy them with everything else), and air filter. I still need to replace the fuel filter, cap, rotor...and I'm sure I'm forgetting other things. What did I miss? Anyways, my spark plug issue is resolved, but I wanted to pass my hair-raising tale along........
    Done that before! Put a 350 in my '62 GMC and it was TIGHT! Took like 30 minutes to get the rear passanger plug out, and it broke clean off and barely got the remnants out.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

That reminded me of the time I was building a little 289 for my Austin Healey. I went to fit the bellhousing to the block and I broke a bolt off in the block. No big deal just remove the other bolts, set the bellhousing aside and drill the bolt in prep for extraction. Then I broke the extractor off in the bolt! Almost screwed...I got the arc welder out and tack welded another bolt to the stub that was exposed and luckily I was able to get the critter out.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    That reminded me of the time I was building a little 289 for my Austin Healey. I went to fit the bellhousing to the block and I broke a bolt off in the block. No big deal just remove the other bolts, set the bellhousing aside and drill the bolt in prep for extraction. Then I broke the extractor off in the bolt! Almost screwed...I got the arc welder out and tack welded another bolt to the stub that was exposed and luckily I was able to get the critter out.
    Welding a bolt on a broken stud is a classic I have recomended many times, when you can get a rod in there.

I don't think I know a mechanic who hasn't broken at least one.

If you are not sure how long they have been in there, PB Blast it. Better safe than sorry.

Drilling out a plug is no fun.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.